Windows 10 dual boot for bootcamp AND parallels, activation problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChristianS6, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ChristianS6

ChristianS6 Bit poster

Hi all,
    i have a Mac Pro 2010 10.11.1, and a bootcamp partition with (a test installation) of windows 10 (upgraded from w7 via gwx / media creation tool) . Works perfect.

But ... i would like to boot this windows 10 partition both from native bootcamp and as virtual machine.

Booting Win 10 native under bootcamp, works perfect. Windows tells me it is activated.
    Booting as a virtual machine, windows tells me it must be re-activated.
    Then booting again as bootcamp, all is well again.

My first tries were with vmware fusion, and with the problems i had a look at the vmware forum, and there are massive postings with the same problem.
    Then i decided to give parallels a chance, but before installing a second virtualizer i had a preliminary look at the parallels forum, and there the same problem exists. Windows 10 can be either activated for bootcamp OR for a virtual machine. In the overwhelming mass of postings i didnt find a solution (or have i simply overseen it?).
    Funny, this problems seems to be absent in the win 7 world.

So some questions arise:

- Meanwhile, does a solution exist for parallels?
    - Is this problem only with an upgrade version of win 10, or does the retail win 10 suffers the same?

Every hint is welcome.

greetings from germany
    Chris

2. AlastairD

AlastairD Bit poster

I have the same problem witrh Windows 10/8.1.- I have given up on VMware although say that the ugrade last week gets round the problem. I too am looking for a solution whereby I can boot in to Windows via Bootcamp or via a virtual machine. I have not been able to find a solution.

3. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all,
    Please generate a Problem Report ID, so that we can check it for you. Refer to this KB article.

4. AlastairD

AlastairD Bit poster

I cannot generate a report ID as I have not yet installed Parallels. I have had lots of problems with VMware due to this problem but want some assurance that I will not encounter the same problem with Parallels. Surely most people want the option of booting into native Bootcamp or the virtual machine without reactivating Windows and Office. We run three different versions of Office (2003, 2010, 2013) and therefore reactivation is difficult. It is made more complicated as Windows 10 activation does not always work and you have to reinstall Windows 8.1 and then do another upgrade. Buying two sets of Windows and Office licences should not be an option.

So can Parallels assure me that I will not have activation problems before we buy and install Parellels?

Thanks

5. ChristianS6

ChristianS6 Bit poster

yes, same for me. I dont have installed parallels yet, i have encountered this problem under vmware, they dont have a solution too.

If parallels will have a solution before vmware has, i will buy parallels and deinstall vmware.

greetings from germany
    Chris

6. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I have the same problem. I contacted Microsoft support and the engineer tokd me that this is a native problem as Windows 10 is different from any other earlier version, it would check whether it is a new machine. Win 10 would treat VM as new machine and need activate every time you use it. And the activation needs the help from Microsoft help desk. I then contacted Parallel Desktop and they admitted this problem and no solution yet.
    I more side issue, I found that if you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on your Mac machines, you are unable to downgrade back to Windows 7 even you recovery the Mac machine. Windows 10 make changes of your machine at the elementary level even re-install the OS cannot fix it. I bring the iMac back to Apple genuine desk for help and they cannot fix it. Then I need to buy a new Windows 10 for the installation or otherwise I cannot activate it. I have Windows 7 product key only which is only good for Upgrade version
    Parallels desktop 11 cost me money and days of work. Too bad. But the engineers in the help desk is very nice and tried very hard to help. I appreciated their assistance even though it was not successful

7. AnthonyC2

AnthonyC2 Junior Member

I
    one more information. Microsoft said that parallels desktop would generate something every time you open it. I don't know what it is but he said it would make the Windows 10 treat this as a new machine and hence you have to activate it again. Bear in mind you need to activate it every time you open the PD11. Crazy!

8. AlastairD

AlastairD Bit poster

Thanks for the info. I had four days of pain two weeks ago as Acronis failed to restore, Windows would not activate etc. etc. so I am not keen to start again unless there is clarity that it all works without continual reactivation. I ended up reformatting the Apple disk using the time machine restore, loading bootcamp, partitioning the fisks and then loading around 100 Windows apps with passwords etc. It seems a simple request thast you want the choice of direct or indirect logins - since the programs have been around for some years why haven't they fixed it?

9. AlexanderB3

AlexanderB3 Bit poster

I've got the same problem, too. Office 2010 not working, Windows not activated using Parallels 11 with Windows 10. Works fine using Bootcamp. But I spent 50Euros on Parallels and would like some kind of advice. Is Parallels 11 using the original Bootcamp as a virtual machine or is it using a complete copy? Is it possible that tis issue causes the trouble we're in?
    With kind regards

10. MarkB9

MarkB9 Bit poster

Acronis updated its version and this problem should now be addressed. The latest review can be found here http://www.acronisdiscount.com/acronis-true-image-review/

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member