Removal of Windows 10 |Removal of Parallels 10 and 11 and Parallels Access on a Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ColinT1, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ColinT1

ColinT1 Bit poster

Hello,

I have a MacBook and I need to reinstate it cleanly back to pre Parallels and pre Windows.
    I am needing to get a clear understanding of what to do & process to follow so that I end up without bits of Windows (broken glass!), etc.

I installed Parallels 10 then 11 so that I could run Windows 10. Parallels Access came too. Then installed Windows 10. Then tried to install Autodesk Revit - didn't work so I have a part installed Autodesk suite. (A PC now takes care of Autodesk & Revit on Windows 7).

Do I, go to the Finder in IOS and drop Parallels 10, 11 and Access into the trash? Does that remove Windows and Autodesk fully - because Windows would appear to be installed in a C file - in Windows accessed via Parallels? I sense that there is a proper way to uninstall the Windows files first before removing Parallels.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi ColinT1,
    Please refer to this knowledge based article to remove Parallels Desktop completely from the Mac & then follow the steps here to remove the Windows virtual machines

3. ColinT1

ColinT1 Bit poster

Hello Dishant, Thank you for the reply but I'm slightly confused that if I follow the steps that you have outlined i.e. 1. remove parallels desktop, followed by 2. remove windows virtual machine, that I may not be able to access the windows side (step 2) because the parallels side has been deleted (step 1)?
    Can you clarify if the steps that you suggest will work? Thank you Dishant.

4. Dishant@Parallels

Hi, please help me understand the situation better. The resolution that I gave was in case you were completely looking forward to ha e Parallels Desktop and Windows removed from you Mac and start afresh all over from the scratch.
    But it looks like you are looking forward to go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10. If that's the case then I don't see a need to uninstall Parallels Desktop. What we can do here is have Parallels Desktop up and running as it is and then open Windows 10 and search for system recovery from the search box and you'll find a way to switch back to Windows 7. Please let me know if I am missing something and I'll be glad to look into it.

5. ColinT1

ColinT1 Bit poster

Hello Dishant.
    My objective is to completely clear my Mac of Windows and Parallels. So, no I do not wish to have Windows 7 or 10 or parallels installed.
    To clarify further, my concern about the steps as you suggested was that if I remove parallels first can I still access windows in order to remove it as well? Have I explained my concern - and is this valid?

6. Dishant@Parallels

Yes, thank you. I get it now. For this the steps that I have suggested before will work good and we don't need access over Windows to delete it from the Mac. The Windows pvm files can be deleted from the Mac environment itself. If you wish to do vice versa of the same process then even that is ok. You can open Parallels Desktop control center and have a two finger click to list the options after placing the mouse cursor over the virtual machine. Then click on 'remove' followed by 'move to trash'.
    This will delete the virtual machine and all its contents. Then you can remove Parallels Desktop after that. Either way works good. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

7. ColinT1

ColinT1 Bit poster

Hello Dishant,
    Thank you. Everything removed and rebooted successfully. Appreciate your help.
    I should point out - the only reason for removing Parallels and Windows was because I now run Autodesk on another pc - as the Mac had insufficient memory, etc.

8. Dishant@Parallels

I understand. Thanks for updating it all to us. We are glad that it served its purpose for a long time. Feel free to get back to us and have it installed again whenever you have any need of it.