Help! can't turn on windows 7

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by YiG, Nov 4, 2015.

1. YiG

YiG Bit poster

My windows 7 works fine until one day windows 7 has about 100+ system update when I turn it off. My macbook startup disk is taken up quickly and could not complete the update, so i have to stop it and free some disk space. After several trials, it does not work because everytime I try to restart windows 7, it takes up my disk space that I have freed up before.
    Therefore, I install Cleanmymac 3 (which costs me40 bucks) to free some space.
    Not working, so I contacted Apply support and have them cleaned up many space on my macbook, including deleting phone backups, some applications and some iOS files.
    Everytime i restart windows 7, it take up more space. From 50+G, the file shows parallel desktop is taking up 70G currently.
    The screen when I open windows 7 says "failure configuring windows, reverting updates".
    Please help me. This is depressing.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, we need you to submit a Problem Report and provide us with its ID number. Please follow this KB article to submit Problem Report: http://kb.parallels.com/9058
    NOTE: Please submit a report while reproducing the issue and provide us with generated ID number. We will not be able to locate your Problem Report on the server without having its ID number.

3. YiG

YiG Bit poster

The Problem ID is 79720195. I can finally turn on Windows 7 after freeing up my disk space using Parallel. However, Windows 7 takes up 68GB on my mac book right now which causes me a lot of troubles. What should I do ?

4. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi, if Windows 7 is taking a lot of space then you should try to delete some unwanted files from it or may be we can have another fresh installation of a new virtual machine in your Mac & then transfer the necessary files from the old Windows to the new one using an external drive. That way we can at least make sure that the Windows PVM is not so big in size like the old one (its just a suggestion). The other way would be to dig inside the C: drive of your Windows and look for the unwanted files and have them removed.
    You can also reclaim some free space by following the steps mentioned here.

5. YiG

YiG Bit poster

Thank you! The problem is that I don't have much files on Windows, except some word and excel files. I will try to reclaim some free space in the instruction.

6. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Sure, please reclaim the free space and if that's not enough then may be we can have a fresh installation and have the word and excel files moved over.

7. YiG

YiG Bit poster

Hi, I would like to ask how much space a normal windows 7 should take up on my macbook?

8. Maheesh

Maheesh Junior Member

Hi YIG,
    A fresh installation of Windows 7 will be take around 6 GB of space in Mac Hard Disk.
    However, the size of Windows 7 Virtual Machine will keep increasing based on the applications and the files that are present inside the Windows 7 Virtual Machine.
    To locate the Windows 7 Virtual Machine on your Mac Hard Disk, you may refer the article : http://kb.parallels.com/117333

9. YiG

YiG Bit poster

Thank you very much!! My Windows 7 has been installed for around 1 month. I have Microsoft office and very few word and powerpoint files on it, and that is all. However, the Windows 7.pvm file has taken up 38.46 GB right now. Is it normal? If not, what should I do? Thank you!!

10. Maheesh

Maheesh Junior Member

Hi YiG,
    You are always welcome. A .pvm file with close to 30GB or 40GB would be normal.
    If there any hidden files present inside the Windows 7 VM or few applications along with the files may have the size of the .pvm to take that space.
    The size of the Windows 7.pvm file may increase if you have any snapshots created.
    If you have created any snapshots, try to delete the snapshots ( http://kb.parallels.com/122390 ) and check if it helps you to decrease the size of the .PVM
    If there aren't any snapshots present, start the VM and clear the temporary files by going to start -> Run -> Type : %temp% -> Select all the temporary files and delete them permanently. Hope this information will be helpful for you.