Transporting a physical Win2K box to Parallels - missing page file?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by lillian, Aug 14, 2007.

1. lillian

lillian Bit poster

Hello,

New Parallels user here...like it so far (mostly). I just transported a physical Windows 2000 box to a Parallels VM (Win2K->network->MacBook->Firewire drive). The transport completed successfully, and the VM boots but I can't completely login. When I try, the desktop starts to load, but then I get a Windows dialog (Limited Virtual Memory) informing me I don't have a pagefile. When I close the dialog, I get bumped back to the login screen. The actual error text is:

Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.

1. Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.
    2. Click on the Performance Options button, and then click on the Change button. Under Drive [Volume Label], select the drive you want.
    3. To create a new paging file, click the Initial Size (MB) box, and then type a paging file size.
    -Or-
    To increase the paging file size, click the Maximum Size (MB) box, and then type a larger paging file size.

When you have finished, click Set, and the click OK.

I know the "real" box works fine because I used it both before and after moving it to Parallels. I didn't transport all of the drives in that box at the same time (boot drive first to cut down on transport time, and also as a test run) but did transport them later and added them to the VM. Running with or without them seemes to make no difference.

So any suggestions? I'm not real keen on converting that box again since it took SOOOO long last time.

Thanks!

lillian

2. lillian

lillian Bit poster

I've examined the VM with Parallels Explorer and the pagefile is present, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

Also, when I open the VM with Explorer it shows 2 volumes with a type of (None) that probably represent the 2 drives I DIDN'T transport at the same time as the boot drive. Could these be causing my problems?

It would be nice if I could get some feedback on this. I really don't want to spend another 12 hours trying to migrate this machine in its entirety just to see if that solves my problem.

lillian

3. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

Do you try to create new paging file in safe mode?? Instructions see below:

4. lillian

lillian Bit poster

Mike,

The login process doesn't get far enough along to allow me to create a new pagefile. As I mentioned earlier, after I close the Limited Virtual Memory dialog I get logged out. I never actually have control of the system.

This happens even in Safe Mode.