Fedora 23 Beta

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DavidA3, Oct 19, 2015.

1. DavidA3

DavidA3 Bit poster

The X driver is not working in the Fedora 23 beta - and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to begin troubleshooting. I understand it's a newer kernel and it's a beta and that it probably isn't officially supported yet.

2. AlexanderI1

AlexanderI1 Bit poster

I think I have a similar issue with Fedora 22 after updating the Linux Kernel to version 4.2.3.

Parallels User likes this.
  3. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Same problem here (I think): I just updated my Fedora 22 from kernel 4.0.4 to 4.2.3, and now the X windows system does not work: after issuing the "startx" command all I get is a black screen, no mouse, nothing. Kernel 4.0.4 still works.

(...which makes me wonder, does Parallels have an official list of supported Linux kernels somewhere?)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. BrianS1

BrianS1 Bit poster

Well, surprise surprise it doesn't work on Fedora 23 general release either. Really you'd think they would be on top of this kind of thing.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

HeikkiL likes this.
  6. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

Thanks for the information, JamesW4!
    It would be nice to get some official, up-to-date support information regarding different Linux distros and kernels:
    Here Parallels says only Fedora 19 and 20 are supported: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122662
    Here they give instructions how to install Fedora 21: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122904
    ...and we know that Fedora 22 works just fine with kernel 4.0. :)

7. KyleG

KyleG Bit poster

I am running the newest version of Paralles and have both the 4.2.3 and 4.2.5 kernels from Fedora 22 working without issue. One challenge I had was kernel-devel not getting upgraded correctly on the recent update, but that does not appear to be related to Parallels.

8. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

KyleG: by "newest" you mean Parallels 11, yes?
    In my case, Parallels version is 10.3. What about everyone else in this thread? It this a v10 vs. v11 thing?

9. ChristianS7

ChristianS7 Bit poster

I'm on the latest Parallels and when installting the Parallels Tools I can't boot up my machine (Fedora 23 no Beta), it hangs in the Plymouth Boot Screen. It always does this:

Stoping user Manager for UID 1000
    Stopped User manager for UID 1000.
    Removed slice user-1000.slice

endlessy..

10. KyleG

KyleG Bit poster

Yes I am using Parallels 11. I am pretty sure its a v10 vs. v11 thing. v11 is much better dealing with Linux so far than any other version I have tried. However, I am not quite ready to test out Fedora 23 in the VM. I might be a little too bleeding edge.

11. ChristianS7

ChristianS7 Bit poster

KyleG Fedora 23 is really really stable, since Fedora 21 it's stable directly after the release, however Fedora 23 doesn't work on Parallels 11. It won't boot after installing Parallels Tools, it will fail with the things I posted above.

12. fredrik

fredrik Bit poster

I too cannot boot up Fedora 23 Workstation after having installed Parallels Tools. Subscribing to this thread and hoping for a fix soon.

13. christian.vrl

christian.vrl Bit poster

I too having issues with a Fedora 23 Workstation . I've figured out that Fedora comes with a newer xorg-server and X have changed it's ABI , I think thats the cause X won't work after installing Parallels tools.

14. PatrickS5

PatrickS5 Bit poster

Any update on this? Did anyone get X11 running on Fedora 23?