All guests exit full screen mode when any guest shuts down or suspends

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveS6, Nov 3, 2015.

1. SteveS6

SteveS6 Bit poster

I recently updated to the latest Parallels 11. I run various guest machines in Full Screen mode, but whenever I suspend or exit a guest, all the other guests exit full screen mode. The Guest OS doesn't seem to matter, as I've seen this happen with OS X, Windows, and Linux guests.

It will make Parallels unusable for me if I have to fix all of the windows inside my guests every time I suspend or shutdown a guest. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Steve, please try re-installing Parallels Tools and check how it goes. Refer to this KB article.

3. SteveS6

SteveS6 Bit poster

I removed the guest tools from my Windows guest and re-installed. It made no difference in the behavior. I didn't think I needed to re-install the guest tools in my OS X guest, since it was created in Parallels 11.

I would be a bit surprised if guest tools were the problem since I suspend the guest from the Control Center on the host, and it doesn't matter which guest I suspend, all guest windows come out of full screen mode.

I looked at all the preferences on the host and configuration options for the guest looking for something that might be related to the behavior I am seeing, but I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. Is there something else I could try?

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

@SteveS6 requesting you create a support ticket here, so that we can assist you!

5. DeanM1

DeanM1 Bit poster

I have the same issue. This is with a fresh installation of El Capitan 10.11.1, fresh install of Parallels Desktop 11 and newly created guest machines.
    Is it possible that this is related to another full screen issue as described here? I experience both of these full screen issues.

This isn't a world stopping issue, but it does regularly disrupt my workflow. The annoyance builds up over time and pretty much destroys the user experience.

6. SteveS6

SteveS6 Bit poster

I reported a support ticket on this issue, and they have acknowledged that it is a bug. They have entered it into their JIRA system, but I don't see any way to see the progress of it.

We'll be notified when the but is fixed, but without knowing if it is being actively worked, I don't know if I should wait it out, or if I need to downgrade to Parallels 10...

7. DeanM1

DeanM1 Bit poster

Thanks, that's good to know.
    It would be nice if they had a public tracker or at least a list of known issues. It would save some time and effort.

I'm not really sure if it's an issue just with Parallels 11 or a combination with El Capitan. Still, I wouldn't really want to downgrade either one.

8. SteveS6

SteveS6 Bit poster

I'm still running Yosemite, so I think we can rule out El Capitan as the source of the problem.

I upgraded to Parallels 11 So that I could try out El Capitan in a guest before upgrading my host, but now I can't upgrade my OS until this issue gets fixed.

I agree that a public tracker would be nice because I don't know if this is something they'll release in the next couple of weeks in a patch, or if it will be months before it gets fixed. I don't even know if they were able to reproduce the issue on their end, or if they just assigned it to the dev team to research further.

9. MMiguelE

MMiguelE Bit poster

Same happening here. Every time I close or suspend a VM (Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu), all the remaining exit the fullscreen mode. This really disturbs the workflow and messes up the VM desktops opened apps. I'm using OSX fullscreen mode (Parallels Desktop fullscreen mode is not really an option) with Parallels Desktop 11.0.2 and El Capitan.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools)

11. SteveS6

SteveS6 Bit poster

I was in the process of downloading and installing the latest build previous message was posted :)

It appears that build 11.1.0 does indeed fix this issue. Suspending a VM no longer takes the suspended guest out of full screen mode for easy closing like version 10 did, but I can easily live with that.

Thanks for the quick turn around,

Steve

12. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Glad to hear that the latest build of Parallels Desktop fixed the issue. Feel free to reach out, we are here to help!