unable to connect Hard Disk 0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AnneK, Nov 7, 2015.

1. AnneK

AnneK Bit poster

I have OS X El Captain. I upgraded to Parallels 11 and now cannot boot up Windows. When starting Parallels I get the error message "unable to connect Hard Disk 0. A file or device for the operation of Hard Disk 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running but the device will be disconnected."
    I click on the OK button for that message and then the "My Boot Camp" window has a screen that looks like - see image.
    I have tried to shut it down and restart, but get nowhere. I have rebooted my Mac and no difference. I have no idea what to do next. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Annek,
    Please try to remove the existing boot camp virtual machine by following this article . Then re-add the boot camp partition following this article .

3. AnneK

AnneK Bit poster

That worked. Thanks.

4. JefferyB

JefferyB Bit poster

I have a similar issue, but my Windows installation is not in boot camp. I just did a restore from Time Machine because I had issues with the El Capitan install, and afterwords I saw the same error when trying to open my VM. I tried removing the VM and re-adding it, but that did not help. It's trying to boot to the CD because it can't find the hard drive. Any suggestions?

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

6. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

Same exact error for my external USB Blu-Ray Disc Drive. On v11.1.0 on El Capitan OSX. This is both on Windows 10 and Windows 7

7. JefferyB

JefferyB Bit poster

Paul, thanks for your quick response, however as I just installed Parallels Desktop 11 yesterday, I am certainly at the latest version (11.1.0 (32202)). Also, since my VM will not open properly, Parallels Tools cannot be updated...

8. JefferyB

JefferyB Bit poster

I pulled an even earlier version of my VM HDD from Time Machine and it seems to be ok (although I'm back to Windows 7 now instead of Windows 10). Perhaps when El Capitan screwed up my Mac OS it caused an issue with the VM, or maybe the TM backup for the VM I was using was corrupted. Either way, it seems to be ok right now. I'm installing Parallels Tools now and will attempt the Windows 10 upgrade again...

9. JefferyB

JefferyB Bit poster

Everything seems to be good now. Upgraded to Windows 10 and El Capitan without issues. I made sure to let Time Machine finish the back up before attempting the upgrade this time.

Cheers

10. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Glad that you are able to upgrade the virtual machine. Feel free to reach out, we are here to help.