Parallels Desktop For Mac 11.1 corrupts Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 PST files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by johnrellis, Nov 19, 2015.

1. johnrellis

johnrellis Junior Member

I have 42 Outlook PST files, ranging in size from 40 MB to 3.6 GB, stored on \\Mac\Home\Documents\outlook. Soon after I upgraded from 11.0.2 to 11.1, Outlook 2013 would crash upon start (see the summary crash report below). Downgrading to Parallels 11.0 and restoring the PSTs from a backup prior to the upgrade fixed the problem. Evidence that this is a bug in Parallels 11.1:

- I repeated this process twice, getting the same bad results each time, and restoring correct behavior after downgrading Parallels and restoring the PSTs from backup.

- At least two others have reported similar symptoms:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/problems-with-outlook-pst-files.329702/
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-10-november-update-1511-freezes-at-32.330468/

- Upgrading to Outlook 2016 before upgrading to Parallels 11.1 didn't fix the problem.

- Running "scanpst.exe" on the PSTs and creating new Mail profiles didn't fix the problem.

I submitted problem report 81088150 for this via Help > Send Technical Data.

Why aren't download links available for versions of 11 prior to 11.1? Many people have asked for that in these forums. Luckily, I had a version of 11.0 squirreled away. It sure would be nice to get the bug fixes in 11.0.2 while waiting for a fix to this...

OS X 10.10.5, Windows 8.1, Outlook 2013/2016

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE
    Application Version: 15.0.4763.1002
    Application Timestamp: 5615b033
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.18007
    Fault Module Timestamp: 55c4bcfc
    Exception Code: 80000003
    Exception Offset: 000b8f62
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 5861
    Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3: 1318
    Additional Information 4: 13181ae637ac2592fac0ca2dd662cdcc

Eric-ThierryM and KevinClarke like this.
  2. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Yep I agree with John. This is a bug and needs resolving ASAP. I've created a problem report as well.
    Kevin

3. WendyA

WendyA Bit poster

After I downloaded 11.1 Quickbooks 2013 wouldn't open. I was panicked, especially since I don't speak PC at all. I spent 2.5 hrs on the phone with Quickbooks to try to solve the problem - I think it's solved, hopefully it will open tomorrow morning.

4. YounesA

YounesA Bit poster

Exact same problem here.

After many tests, I could find a workaround: the problem completely disappears when the PST are copied within the VM, for example in a c:\Outlook directory.

The issue, as it seems to me, is related to Outlook accessing PST files in shared folders.

Younes

5. KevinClarke

Yes moving PST files etc into C:\.... is a workaround, although if you have lots of them or large PST files this becomes very impractical and just expands the VM. Therefore I strongly suggest you all create problem reports if you have not done so already. See http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058
    This is what both support and the Parallels development team will require to address this problem further. The more reports of this issue the better to get it addressed.
    Regards
    Kevin

6. Eric-ThierryM

Eric-ThierryM Bit poster

I am experiencing the same outlook crash after upgrading to 11.1. I had a clone of the VM prior to upgrade and can reproduce the crash each time Parallels tools is being loaded and restart. In fact, in my situation, the restart will first crash Windows (blue screen) then Windows recovers automatically - I did not notice it at first as I tend not to look at the screen during the reboot. When Windows opens again, everything works fine except for Outlook. I tried to reload Office but still crashes.
    If you know of a location where to download 11.0, please let me know. For now, I am downgrading back to Parallels 10 until 11 is fixed.

7. KevinClarke

Hi Eric-ThierryM,

I have a copy of the the last update 11.0 it is the pro version. Let me know if you want a copy?

Regards
    Kevin

8. VladimirK1

VladimirK1 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem, and I deleted entire VM and deleted all files, reinstalled everything from scratch including windows. I installed old version of parallel 11. The outlook starts loading IMAP account, as soon I try to add large datafile which was working for last year, it is crashes. I transferred that file from backup to make sure it wasn't corrupted.

How is that possible that even installing old version of parallels 11 I still have exactly the same problem.

The log is identical as to original post from johnrellis

9. Eric-ThierryM

Eric-ThierryM Bit poster

Hi Kevin - thank you for offering me a copy. I do not have Pro and Parallels support provided me with a link to download the previous version of 11. Here is the link for you all you who want to roll back to 11.0
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v11/11.0.2/ParallelsDesktop-11.0.2-31348.dmg
    I could not wait for a link and rolled back to Parallels 10. Interestingly, after using Parallels 11 for a while now, going back to Parallels 10 feels faster than 11 in booting up and opening up Apps... nothing scientific, a subjective feel.

10. ChuckE

ChuckE Bit poster

Had the same problem. The work around of moving the PST file to C:\ was successful after wasting an afternoon chasing dead ends. Have filed a report. Thank you.

11. VladimirK1

VladimirK1 Bit poster

I installed old version of 11 and moved large PST file to C. After that outlook start working.

12. KevinClarke

I think you are right, V10 was more stable than V11.. I've already moved to El Capitan so going back to 10 is not recommended. I hope V11 starts to improve..
    Kevin

13. KevinClarke

Hi VladimirK1,
    This sounds strange. Can you confirm have Version 11.0.2 (31348) and still had the same issue when the PST files were in a shared folder? Also are you running windows 10? I'm working ok on 11.0.2 (31348), but there is definitely an issue with update 11.1
    -Kevin

14. TomK5

TomK5 Bit poster

I also had a problem with the login for my Quickbooks Pro 2015. I installed a parallels desktop update to 11.1.0 this week and now I cannot open my QB data file. I installed QB on my windows laptop to verify it was not the data file. Have reinstalled QB program on my main computer and still have the same issue. Spent several hours on the phone/chat with QB support to no avail.

15. KevinClarke

Hi TomK5,

The latest Parallels update has a problem with shared files so I guess your Quickbooks has database files similar to Email and Outlook PST database files where they reside outside of your VM? If so quite likely you are experiencing QB data file issues the same.

The workaround is to move database files into c:\... Similar to what we have done for Outlook files, this essentially moves them into the Paralkels VM and not using shared files.

The alternative is to go back to the update prior to 11.1 and use the 11.0 update.

regards
    Kevin

16. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Sorry for the inconvenience. Currently we have no reproduction of the problem, so we need your help. Please put "tools.prl_fs.fileids.enable=1" (without quotes) into "VmConfig->Hardware->Boot Order->Advanced Settings->Boot flags" textfield (you will need to shutdown the vm first) and check whether it helps to avoid the issues/corruptions. Thank you.

17. TomazC

TomazC Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same .pst issues in shared folder.

Regards
    Tomaz

18. TomK5

TomK5 Bit poster

@ KevinClarke. Thanks for the tip about the workaround. That solved the problem for now.
    @vasilyz. I will try that and let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Tom

19. KevinClarke

HI Vasilyz,
    It seems to work with your suggested workaround. I have 3 PST files 1x45MB and 2X 600Mb so far so good. I can try a much larger 7GB PST soon
    Regards
    Kevin

20. KevinClarke

Hi Vasilyz,
    Ok I now have 5 PST files in my Share folder ranging from 7mb, 45mb, 2x633mb and one at 7.5GB it all seem to work fine so far. It would have crashed for me long before now. I'm using windows 10 and Outlook 2016. Let me know if you need anything else?
    Regards
    Kevin