Windows 10 November Update fails to install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SteveG2, Nov 15, 2015.

1. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

I have Windows 10 (10240) Pro installed in a Parallels virtual machine running on a MacBook Pro Retina. This virtual was created with Windows 8.1 Pro when it was released. It was then updated to Windows 10 when 10240 was released. The Windows 10 1511 update shows up in windows update with no issues and I have tried the update three different times with same result. The update runs full course with no evidence of any errors and on the first login it reverts to the previous version of 10240. So I tried using the Media Creation Tool and performing an "Upgrade PC Now" which gave me the same result on first login. I have checked and there is 60GB of free disk space in this virtual so I believe disk space is not the issue. Parallels is updated to the latest and most current version, Windows 10 240 has been kept updated to latest updates.

I am a windows software developer so I do not mind digging around to see if I can tell what is happening. I just do not know where to start digging. Where is the most likely place to start looking? Where would the installation write any errors? I sure there is a log somewhere that tells me what is going on with this failed install. What is the best way to get this upgrade to run successfully? Any help would be much appreciated...

Orgbrat

2. MichaelP11

MichaelP11 Bit poster

I also have tried to install the Windows 10 November update several times and it is never successful. My virtual C drive is 63.2 GB with 26.5 GB free. It seems to cause a kernel panic because my entire 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 with 16 GB reboots. When the Windows VM reboots I get a message saying that it couldn't install Windows because the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation.

I give the VM 12 GB of RAM and 4 processors. My Mac hard drive has over 500GB free.

I don't have anything critical in my Windows VM, so would I be better off just creating a new Windows 10 VM with the latest Windows 10 installer ISO?

3. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

Ok I tried the Microsoft Support Engineer recommendations but it did not work on the Parallels Virtual Machine. So I decided to perform the following process.

1. Performed a full Reset from within Windows 10 Pro removing all files and giving me a clean install
    2. ReInstall the Parallells Tools
    3. Perform upgrade using the Microsoft MediaCreationTool.exe and taking "Upgrade Now" path

So I then used the Media Creation Tool and performed an "Upgrade PC Now". The upgrade ran full course with no evidence of any errors, I then login to Windows 10 and it goes thru the normal "Setting your PC up" process. Everything still looks like it is working perfectly but if you use WinVer to check the Windows version it is the previous version of 10240. It does not upgrade to 1511 ( 10586.3 ).

How do I get this VM to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10?

Orgbrat

4. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

I hope I do not have to do this every time I perform a major Windows 10 upgrade but after a week of working with the issue stated above I forced a clean install. I went to Microsoft site and downloaded the recently released Windows 10 1511 ( 10586.11 ) ISO, then mounted the ISO, started the install and told the setup to save NOTHING. I now have the latest version of Windows 10 1511 installed on the Parallels Virtual Machine but I also have to completely setup a new Visual Studio 2015 / Xamarin development environment which takes a lot of time.

Still not sure what was keeping this VM from upgrading from Windows 10 10240 to 10586 but I guess a clean install always works. Lot more trouble though.

Orgbrat

5. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

CHrisTheBiPolarBear Junior Member

Microsoft has now pulled the ISO from their site if you dowload windows 10 from microsoft all that is available is build 10240....If you do an update and it downloads the new update then you need to copy the install.esd file from $WINDOWS.~BT Sources (hiden file) then you can create an ISO file from that...

6. lorein

lorein Member

Well, the November update is very latest installs the latest Windows 10 build 10586 in the Windows 10 PC that increases the OS version number to 1511. And as it is very latest many people are facing the November update not showing in Windows 10.

The user who had installed Windows 10 less than 30 days is not able to get this update.

To solve it check if you have "Defer upgrades" option in Windows Updates settings, then disable it first. Or make a clean installation or make use of Disk Cleanup tool and remove the previous windows installation.

For more information visit:
    http://www.reimagerepair.us.com/blog/fix-windows-10-november-update-not-showing-on-the-pc

7. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

This was not an issue of Windows 10 build 10586 not showing up it did and failed to install. I even had an ISO of 10586 so I performed a clean install of 10586.
    There was issues with that too. Microsoft has pulled the 10586 from their download site. I am not sure what is going on but if you use their MediaCreationTool.exe you will get Windows 10 build 10240. So I performed a clean install of 10240 and everything is now working as expected. Not sure what will happen when windows update forces an update to 10586 but will wait and see.
    Orgbrat

8. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

I do not understand what is happening with Windows 10 and I am not sure if it is Windows 10 or Parallels so I am still posting to both Parallels and Microsoft to see which one of you folks can tell me what is happening. So at this point I have used Windows 10 (10240) RTM and performed a clean install of the Parallels virtual machine hosted on my MacBook Pro Retina laptop. I can say that this whole process works as it should with no errors, no issues what so ever even after all Windows updates had been applied and 10240 was completely updated. Installed all my development applications (EX: VS2015, SSMS, SourceTree) and when everything was done all worked perfectly. Now this morning the Windows 10 November Update was again in the Windows Update, so I thought what the heck this was a clean install and everything was working perfectly. So Windows update performed it's magic with no evident errors or issues all the way thru to the initial login screen after the install. At that point I saw the dreaded message "Restoring previous version of windows..." I am completely baffled by this issue. I do not know where to look that is setup.log or install.log or wherever so that I may see what is causing Windows 10 November update to have issues with whatever the problem is. Not sure if it is the virtual machine hardware such as graphics hardware or what. Is there someone at Parallels that can help with the diagnosis?
    Orgbrat

9. lorein

lorein Member

Try the Disk Cleanup tool and remove the "Previous Windows Installation" files.And after removing the files, run Windows Update again and you will see that November updates start downloading in the PC.

Or else follow the re-installation of Windows 10 and then perform November update.
    With this you are able to easily get the update on your Windows 10.
    Hope this works....

10. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

There is no issue getting the November update to the PC. The PC gets the update just fine, the update performs installation and on first reboot into updated OS Windows restores back to the previous OS. After a full re-installation of Windows 10 everything is working same way, on first reboot after installing November update Windows restores back to previous OS. I have tried both methods multiple times. As long as the OS is 10240 all seems to be well.

11. Mike10

Mike10 Bit poster

Hello SteveG2,

I have the exact same problem. Update completes, but restores the previous version of windows 10 immediately afterwords...
    Have you managed in the meantime to find out why the update did not worked for you?

Many thanks in advance

12. SteveG2

SteveG2 Bit poster

Hello Mike10,

I am sorry I have no answer for you. I worked with this issue for two months, begging for assistance from Parallels or anywhere else I could get it. With absolutely no help. So I am a developer and have two MAC's which one had VMWare Fusion and the other had Parallels installed. After trying both for over a year, I really had decided I liked Parallels better but the VMWare Fusion seem to be more stable with Windows 10. So in January I removed Parallels form the second MAC and installed VMWare Fusion and have had absolutely no issues since. Not the solution I wanted but since it was my MacBook Pro Retina main development laptop I needed everything to work
    By the way, before switching I deleted Parallels virtual, removed Parallels then reinstalled Parallels and created new virtual installing another fresh Windows 10 and on the first update I was back to the same issue. I finally convinced myself it was something to do with Parallels so that is why I finally switched.

Sorry I do not have an answer, but I finally just had to give up...