It's been 10 days since beta 6 - something good must be brewing ;-)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Olivier, May 10, 2006.

1. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

It's been 10 days since beta 6.
    Don't you too have the feeling that something good must be brewing?
    ;)

2. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

Actually, I am hoping that they are getting out Beta 7 soon that fixes the biggest issue - unability to reliably suspend the VM...

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Well, unless you absolutely require sound in your VM, removing the sound card from the VM configuration perfectly works around this issue in beta 6 (XP guest at least).

4. lasse@christiansens.net

lasse@christiansens.net Member

compared to the hectic beta release schedule of beta 1-6 we should be closing in on something major !

Hopefully they will not only have fixed the suspend issue, but also stabilized shared folders and networking. And given us the ability to bridge to multiple vlan interfaces and drag-and-drop of files between VM and host.

Then i would be extremely pleased.

5. titanium

titanium Bit poster

Exciting...

Oh yes, let the dogs out! Time for a new threat ;)
    Parallels does a great job. Give us beta testers something to do :)

beta7 beta7 beta7... I'm nearly tired of pressing the reload button on the download page.

6. bigman

bigman Member

Yes it is extremely silent these days. A short note about when to expect a new version
    is very appreciated.

7. bgreat

bgreat Junior Member

The sound support is not the only issue with suspending a client OS. Under Solaris (no sound support) any time my MacBook Pro suspends I have a complete freeze of the client and I am unable to exit Parallels -- beach ball cursor "forever". It is necessary to perform a Force Quit and restart the guest. Using a Linux guest, I have had the same experience.

Under Windows, I have not tried removing the sound support, but I will give it a try and report back.

=====
    Update:
    Removing the sound device from the virtual machine setup for Windows appears to have resolved the lock up issues. My Mac can now suspend without locking Parallels.

Removing the sound device from Linux (even though not in use) appears to have resolved the lockup issues.

Double checked Solaris setup and I do not have sound configured. Since I generally run it as one of multiple VM's, I'll check it as the only VM running and see if it stays stable.
    :eek:

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  8. davert

davert Member

Could be they're working on something really thorny, like making shared folders work consistently and quickly a la VirtualPC (ah, I miss the genius that was Connectix! not that I am not grateful for Parallels, which seems to be taking off where Connectix stopped, providing great, solid softare at a reasonable price!)