Parallels Messed up my BootCamp Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ewen_Cameron, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Ewen_Cameron

Ewen_Cameron Junior Member

Had my Windows 10 upgrade working nicely in Bootcamp on my 2009 Mac Pro for the whole day and everything was going nicely.

Decided to upgrade to Parallels 11 so I could use it occasionally without having to reboot.

Deleted the previous VM for Windows 7 and them tried to create a new VM from the Windows 10 Bootcamp.
    At first Bootcamp did not show up in list so I followed some Parallels troubleshooting instructions and set up using 'Install from DVD or Image file" and then selected my bootcamp disk in the source.

Tried starting the VM and got the error message "No Boot Device is Available"

Read another Parallels post to say this could be rectified by starting in Bootcamp and then running a disk check.

Tried to boot in Bootcamp and to my horror it now also has "No Boot Device is Available"

Looked for several hours online and tried several methods shown by Parallels articles, but still cannot get either Boot Camp or VM Windows to start up.

Thanks Parallels!!
    I hadn't made a disk backup as I had no idea that Parallels could mess up boot camp so badly.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Since we need to investigate deeper, please email us the issue description along with the screenshot to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.

3. Ewen_Cameron

Already did this with a support ticket at approximately the same time as posting the above.
    But have not heard anything back yet.

4. Ewen_Cameron

What changes does Parallels make to the boot camp drive, are there files that I can remove when in OS X that will make Boot Camp function again?

5. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reply us your email address from which you sent the email so that we can assist you ASAP.

6. Ewen_Cameron

Sorted the issue with boot camp myself, I won't allow third parties to take control of my Mac which is what Parallels techies always seem to want to do.

Using winclone I set a preference to make the bootcamp partition 'legacy bootable' which eventually worked and it will now work correctly in boot camp.

After backing up my boot camp Windows 10 using Winclone I have now successfully re-installed the Parallels VM using my boot camp disk and everything is working ok, except for the Windows 10 validation issue in Parallels VM, which I was expecting anyway.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Ewen, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32312). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.