File Explorer Won't open (Win 10 / Parallels 11)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SDchamp, Nov 26, 2015.

1. SDchamp

SDchamp Bit poster

Hi All,

I installed a trial version of Parallels 11 to test with a copy of Windows 10.

Everything installed fine and was working fine.

Today I turned on VM, but for some reason I cant open the File Explorer, or open any kind of folders in Windows. When I try and launch the file explorer, the screen goes black for half a second and then the desktop refreshes itself and nothing happens. I dont even see the Window.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, Please try the steps mentioned below:
    1.Run taskmgr.exe (Task Manager) and kill all explorer processes (in the "Details" tab).
    2.Disable all extensions in Shell Extensions Manager (select them and choose "Disable selected items")
    3.Run explorer.exe from Task Manager > File > Run new task.
    Check if the behavior is fixed.

3. SDchamp

SDchamp Bit poster

Thanks Paul,
    After restarting the mac, and shutting down the VM it has seemed to work.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

You are welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

5. chad2

chad2 Bit poster

Hi,

I seem to be running into this exact same problem, however restarting the VM and my mac does not fix the issue. When trying to open file explorer or any file folders on the desktop, the screen just refreshes and nothing is opened.

I couldn't quite tell what to do for the suggested steps above.

1.Run taskmgr.exe (Task Manager) and kill all explorer processes (in the "Details" tab).
    2.Disable all extensions in Shell Extensions Manager (select them and choose "Disable selected items")
    3.Run explorer.exe from Task Manager > File > Run new task.

For # 1: I only see explorer.exe in the details tab of task manager. Closing this causes the screen to go blank.
    For # 2: I could't see where to find "Shell Extensions Manager" -
    for # 3: Tried running explorer.exe under Take Manager > file > Run new task. This brings up the windows desktop as before, but still unable to open files.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thank you!

6. DahirouA

DahirouA Bit poster

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue and I have tried the solutions above to no avail. Has anyone found another solution?

7. chad2

chad2 Bit poster

My issue ended up being resolved by accident. What I did was run windows, exit full screen mode, open "coherence mode" and then exited coherence mode. After that opening files worked again.

Hopefully that works for you.

8. BusterS

BusterS Bit poster

Try this workaround. Open Disk Management. Right click on the disk you want to view and click Open. This opens Explorer.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We appreciate you for sharing the workaround here for all users.