Recommendations for setting # of cores and where to install virtual machine (SSD or not)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by elasticmedia, Nov 9, 2015.

1. elasticmedia

elasticmedia Member

I recently installed an SSD drive on my mac mini quad core: I have 1 SSD drive and 1 normal platter drive. I run my OS and my applications (including parallels) on the SSD and all the data and documents on the platter drive. Right now Parallels just rockets in opening or shutting down windows 7 - windows boots up in 16 seconds. I wonder if any of you have put the virtual machine in an SSD drive. I am allocating just 1 core and 1 GB of memory to parallels and it seems to be enough (of course I am always wondering if I ought to fiddle with that). I am running my vm with the standard separation from the finder. I am just using Internet Explorer in Windows.

Also, it is annoying that after you shut down windows and quit the virtual machine, you have to quit parallels. Likewise, when toggling back and forth to the finder or other applications, it is annoying that in command-tab there are two stops for windows now: the virtual machine and parallels.

Jim

2. elasticmedia

elasticmedia Member

Guess what Parallels: this is your forum and you have host these conversations. This is information relating directly to your product, which I have been obediently supporting for many years at a considerable cost. I don't complain about the high annual update cost, but I do expect you to make at least a token effort to support your customers. The deafening silence on your part speaks volumes. Please address these questions.

Jim