After Installing Windows 10 upgrade start menu no longer accessible?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jasdelta, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

Hi Folks,

I just did the windows 10 free upgrade on my VM from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    At first everything seemed to work fine, but now after a couple of restarts the start menu with all the apps and programs will no longer show and two of my program icons in the taskbar are greyed out.

Can anyone suggest some trouble shooting steps?
    Is there a way to do a reinstall of Windows 10

2. ThomasS7

ThomasS7 Bit poster

Hi,

same problem with my Windows10 (free upgrade) Installation. First it worked fine. No Startmenu after a couple of restarts!
    What can we do????

3. ThomasS7

ThomasS7 Bit poster

4. oztrev

oztrev Member

5. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

Thanks for your helpful reply Unfortunately I am using Parallels 11 and nothing in the article deals with the issue I am having except to perhaps reinstall Parallels Tools which I will ty to see if that works. Fortunately, I have a back up of my Windows 7 vm to go back to or try and upgrade again

6. oztrev

oztrev Member

The first post in the thread I referenced was to do with PD10, not PD11, though it doesn't make much difference. The issue has afflicted people using Windows 10 on bare metal without any VM. My personal solution was to make hourly snapshots; since doing this it's only happened to my once and I reverted to the last snapshot. Typical :)

Just noticed, the KB article deals with BOTH PD10 and 11: