Parallels 11 - Win7 - USB Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ClarkB, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ClarkB

ClarkB Member

After the latest update, my USB devices no longer connect properly. Upon restart, they show up in the External Devices, but no check box (Coherence Mode). When I click the device, the device disappears completely. Normal operation is to toggle the device from Windows to Mac. To get a reconnection I have to unplug the USB device and then plug it back in again. But when trying to toggle, it disappears once again.

OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 Beta (15C47a)
    Parallels 11.1.0 (32202)
    Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (64bit)

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi, please follow the steps suggested here.

3. BayardC

BayardC Member

I've had an ongoing issue with USB devices connected through a (Sabrent HB-SGAR USB3) hub on an early 2015 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro running El Capitan, Parallels 11, and Windows 7 Home Premium. Mac OS X sees the devices (3 USB/serial line converters and an Asus Xonar U5 sound "card"), and P11 claims they're there, but W7 not only doesn't see them properly, but chokes trying to configure them. This configuration DID work under P10 and Yosemite. The issue was escalated all the way to Engineering, but P11.1.0 (32202) didn't resolve the problem. Individual devices attached directly, without using the hub, do work correctly, but since there are only two USB3 ports
    on the rMBP, I'm constrained in what I can do at any given time.

4. ClarkB

ClarkB Member

To the Parallels Team: Thanks for the suggestions, however, your resolution is not a fix. The problem began with the El Capitan 10.11.2 Beta 2. It is either something on the Mac side or something on the Parallels side with this version. The devices must be unplugged and re-plugged with Parallels running. If they are connected to Mac first before Parallels is started, then they will show up on the Mac and then show up disconnected on the Parallels side. If I chick the device to connect it to the Parallels side, then the device completely disappears from Parallels. Only be disconnecting and reconnecting will the device again appear and function in Parallels. This is a recently occurring bug with the newest version of Parallels and OS X.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All, Please follow the steps mentioned below:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine.
    2. Open virtual machine configuration > Hardware tab > Boot order > Advanced settings > Boot flags > Copy and paste the following boot flag:
    devices.sfilter.enable=0
    3. Start the virtual machine and check the issue with USB 3.0 device. Thanks!

6. ClarkB

ClarkB Member

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to create even more problems. Devices are not showing up unless I unplug from the USB and plug them back in. Then when trying to restart the Win& VM, It wants to hang at the shutdown and not allow me to abort. I had to Force Quit Parallels the restart. After restarting, none of the devices appeared until I unplugged them and plugged them back in again (as before).

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hello Clark, please create a Problem Report for the virtual machine as described here http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us with the Problem Report ID.

8. ClarkB

ClarkB Member

Submitted. Thank you.

9. BayardC

BayardC Member

My problem (Problem ID 2176285) was not resolved in Parallels 11.1.1 (32312), however - no change in symptoms.

10. DirkN1

DirkN1 Bit poster

Same Problem for me. The last and the current Update didn't fix this (Now at Version 11.1.1 (32312) and OS X 10.11.1)
    I am using Win7 and Win10. Both are not able to mount USB Devices correctly.

I submitted an Bug-Report to Parallels about 6 weeks ago, but unfortunately no feedback... (no confirmation email, nothing at all!)

...but, anyway:
    With the current Build of PD (32312), I made a Test:
    1. I Formatted a 4GB USB Drive with OS X (FAT-Filesystem)
    2. When (manually) connecting device this to Windows, Windows wants to format the drive.
    3. I confirmed this and formatted this drive within Windows.
    4. Windows formatted this Disk with 200MB of capacity and this drive is usable within Windows. Even after disconnecting and reconnecting.
    5. When Disconnecting from Windows and mounting in OS X, I have 2 Partitions!
    6. Both partitions are usable on OS X. Windows can only use its own

diskutil list:
    /dev/disk6 (external, physical):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *4.0 GB disk6
    1: DOS_FAT_16 WIN 209.7 MB disk6s1
    2: DOS_FAT_32 FAT TEST 3.8 GB disk6s2

I also attached a screenshot of GUI Diskutil:
    151203-0001.png
    I hope this helps...

11. AndrewG6

AndrewG6 Bit poster

I have hit a similar problem when I updated to Parallels for Mac 11 yesterday. Having worked without any problems with Parallels 10, my Prolific USB to Serial adaptor is no longer automatically updated by Parallels and visible to Win 7. It is recognised by Mac OS-X 10.11.2 but is not listed in the Parallels Preferences Devices page. I have updated the Mac and Win drivers from Prolific. I have to disconnect and reconnect the USB adaptor to be offered the opportunity to connect to Mac or Windows for Parallels and Win7 to detect the device.

12. deksden

deksden Bit poster

Same problem for me: after upgrading my mac to 10.11.2 (release) & PD11 i have issues with connecting USB devices to my win7 vm. Devices is not listed in USB device list or disappears from that list when you try to connect them.

The only workaround is to plug device while PD11 is running (maybe 2 times). You should have this device listed as "connect to vm" in usb preferences.

13. douglux

douglux Bit poster

I'm having an identical issue. After upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.1 on Tuesday i can no longer use my USB microphone in Parallels 11. It doesn't show in the device list unless I unplug and replug it in but then when I select it, it drops off the list.

Need a fix!

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi, could you please provide the information to investigate the issue faster:1. Do you have connected USB devices directly on Mac or via USB HUB? 2. Is it a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 device?please create a Problem Report for the virtual machine as described here http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and provide us with the Problem Report ID.

15. douglux

douglux Bit poster

Report ID 83264338
    the USB mic is connected directly to the iMac.

not sure if its a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device, heres the info from the mac system report on it
    SpeechMike III:

Product ID: 0x0c1c

Vendor ID: 0x0911 (Philips Speech Processing)

Version: 2.53

Manufacturer: Philips Speech Processing

Location ID: 0x14200000

16. douglux

douglux Bit poster

17. AndrewG6

AndrewG6 Bit poster

As my Mac Pro (late 2013) has few USB ports, my Prolific USB-to-Serial adaptor is plugged into a USB3.0 10 port hub. All other devices are visible to Parallels to Mac 11. I raised a Problem Report this morning (# 2212853).

18. Rougement

Rougement Junior Member

This is definitely caused by the recent 10.11.2 update. Parallels has been working fine on several machines until I updated from 10.11.1 to 10.11.2. I updated three machines at the same time and now the Dymo Label printer attached to each is grayed out in &indows and not listed under the available devices for Windows 7 in Parallels. Mac System Information lists them fine.

All 3 Mac Minis were running Parallels 10. I updated to Parallels 11 on one to see if that would help. It did not.

As I need those printers working I'll have to roll back to 10.11.0 until a fix is released.

4ndrea R3 likes this.
  19. utesch

utesch Bit poster

Same problem here after updating to OS X 10.11.2. As reported by others... USB 2.0 device plugged into Mac Mini USB port. Device shows up as an available device in Parallels virtual machine. When selected, device disappears. Occurs in both Windows XP and Windows 10 virtual machines. Rolled OS back to 10.11.1 and all is working again.

20. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

Same problem since updating 8 Workstation to OS X 10.11.2. We use VEC Infinity Footpedals for dictation software, barcode scanner and Demo Labelwriter 400 and other USB Port devices for our law firm software. Nothing function after the first reboot. Devices are shown in Imac, but not in Parallels virtual machine. After unplugged the devices they will shown in Parallel machine, after selecting them, they disapear. 2 hours phone with the technical support, with no effort. the problem will be passes to the second level support. But until now, we have heard nothing. We have roll back to 10.11.1 on most machines, all runs well on this one. It´s curious when you unplug the devices and plug them back when the parallels machine is running you can have a chance that parallels will activate them. (Not all the time)

Where must be a serious problem between parallels 11.1.1 (32312) and the last update from apple. Before we have had stable running machine in our office.

ITS VERY URGENT FOR US, THAT THE PROBLEM WILL SHORTY BE FIXED !!