1. cvretis@mac.com

cvretis@mac.com Bit poster

I tried to install the new Norton 360 to have protection while using explorer. Has anyone been able to do this?

What virus programs work in this dual system? Are there any programs that protect both the Mac & PC side?

Thanks

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

ClamAV works fine in OS X, Windows, Linux, Solaris, OS/2, and others. It's free. It is now owned by SourceFire, the people who make the firewall sniffer product, Snort. The product is available as source or as installable packages. See http://ClamAV.net/

I've been using it for years in a corporate environment with great success. No single AV product can do it all so you may wish to run more than one such tool.

A shoot-out of the major players in AV technology:
    http://blog.untangle.com/?p=95

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I use AVG from Grisoft on Windows. It is free.
    I use Intego Virus Barrier on the Mac side. It is expensive but works well.

I used Noton Antivirus for many years, but it is such a complicated program that writes stuff all over the windows registry. After a while, their annual upgrades would not install unless I completely reinstalled Windows. That is when I decided to bail out of Norton.

I would think it should install, though. I'm sure there are people here who run it.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

This may be just a philosophical point, but other than the industry standard "virus test file", how can you determine that a Mac antivirus program works well? (Other than testing with some Windows viruses).

There are no Mac viruses in the wild to protect against, so anything, including nothing, will protect you against Mac viruses just as well as garlic will protect against vampires. No one wearing garlic has ever been attacked by a vampire, and no one running any antivirus program including the non-existant ones has gotten a Mac virus, probably for pretty much the same reason.

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Well, for one thing, I receive e-mail all the time from Windows users, and the attachments may have viruses. Even if these viruses do not exploit the Mac, at least I do not pass them on to others. Also some of the viruses affect Word, such as the macro viruses.

I think as the Mac gets more and more popular, it will become a tempting target. Enjoy the current environment while it lasts.

6. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I don't accept attachments from strangers

use txt mail

AVG onthe windows side

Hugh W