Shared Folder not on Mac Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kupe, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Kupe

Kupe Member

Hey gang-

I just installed Parallels Desktop 2.5 build 3214. For some reason, my Parallels Shared Folder is not appearing on my Mac Desktop- or anyplace else for that matter. I've installed Paralles tools and everything seems to work fine. The shortcut does appear on the WinXP desktop. Anyone know what might fix this?

Thanks!

Dave

2. wingdo

wingdo Pro

3. Kupe

Kupe Member

Thanks Wing- but they are talking about something else altogether. I do indeed have the shortcut to Windows XP- all that does is launch Parallels and bring it to the foreground.

I'm talking about the folder that should be on my Mac Desktop that mirrors the contents of the shared Folder that is on my Windows Desktop. My other installation of Parallels (on my MacBook) has this folder, and I didnt' have to do anything else special to create it.

Any ideas anyone?

Dave

4. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Actually what I was talking about will share your Windows C: drive to the Mac, turning on that switch will give you a new icon which says [c] Windows (or whatever the VM's volume name is) and will allow you to manipulate the virtual drive from OS X. But that isn't what you are looking for.

I am not sure I understand the question. You are obviously sharing a folder through the shared folder preferences file, can't you just use Finder and make a shortcut to the folder on your desktop? None of my shared folders show up on my desktop, Having used Parallels for a year now I have yet to see a copy of the shared folder appear on my desktop unless I use the preferences to set up a shared folder in my ~/Desktop folder.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

You may simply need to set Finder's preferences ...

With Finder as the frontmost application, select Finder->Preferences.
    Make sure the General pane is selected.
    Check the box that Shows Connected servers on the Desktop.

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

Unless I am not understanding correctly, you can just shut down XP, select Shared Folders in the Parallels Configuration Editor, check "Enable shared folders," check the folder you want to share (or add it to the list), then click on the folder to edit it, including specifying the path to its location in OS X.

David