Parallels Desktop 11 - Template feature removed!!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ChristianH4, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ChristianH4

ChristianH4 Bit poster

I have upgraded to Parallels 11 and converted my template to a virtual machine to upgrade it and now I cannot get it back to a template. The help states that this is part of the Pro Version only. This was not stated in the feature comparison. I did not go for the Pro subscription because all the features listed I do not require.

Please provide support to cancel the purchase or add this Feature this feature to the Standard Version.

This is a really unfair business behaviour to reduce a feature set of a product. In the end it does not make a difference to pay for a subscription 49 per year or buy the product for 49 and update every year to the new version.

DoniK likes this.
  2. ChristianH4

ChristianH4 Bit poster

ok no response from Parallels to anything. I made use of the option to cancel the purchase within 14 days. At least that was quite uncomplicated. Got the money back. Migration to Fusion is simple. Import the machine -> Exchange Parallels tools to VMware tools -> Done.

I still do not understand why I would get rid of customers who have been using my products for years and then just do not care. Maybe the number is to small or the people do not complain and just do not go for the Parallels 12 next year. We will see...

DoniK likes this.
  3. tjementum

tjementum Bit poster

I'm missing that feature to.... really bad move.
    How is Fusion compared to Parallels? Pros / Cons?

4. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

I also think this is revolting. You pay for an update and you loose a feature??? WtF!!! They should be sued...

5. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, please find the difference between Parallels Desktop for Mac and Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition here.

6. RainerS1

RainerS1 Member

My point is: you have been taking away features from people who had been loyal customers over years. There is a difference between adding feature for a new product variant only, and taking away features customers already had. This is not okay!

7. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

I would be nice to have a list of all removed features in Parallels 11 Desktop Standard compared to Parallels 10 Desktop. Can you please give me a link to a KB entry too?

8. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, thanks for sharing your opinion. We will share the feedback with our concern team.

9. TomD4

TomD4 Bit poster

I agree Parallels, you are treating customers who have been loyal for a long time like crap. I have been a loyal paying customer for six years. No hard feelings, I will just be moving to VMWare. It's been nice, bye.

10. RobertPalmer

RobertPalmer Bit poster

Poor move Parallels

11. MarcelC3

MarcelC3 Bit poster

When Parallels created the Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition, it should have added new functionality to justify the higher market price. Instead, it moved existing functionality from the Parallels Desktop Edition to the Pro Edition and offered the Desktop Edition with reduced functionality for the same market price. This may benefit short-term revenue but clearly harms long-term customer relations.
    Parallels: In this competitive marketplace, you fight hard for new customers, but once they are your customers you disregard them. Don't treat you customers as stupid. Moving to VMWare, bye.

12. AaronM2

AaronM2 Bit poster

This article does not adacuetly explain that a feature has been removed from the software. I purchased this thorugh my employer YESTERDAY and now find out you have REMOVED a feature I used on a regular basis. IF YOU REMOVE A FEATURE FROM A VERSION PUT IT IN BOLD. You might even consider making it red. How do YOU fix this? Do you upgrade me to the PRO version? Or do you add the feature back into the software? I expect an answer today. This is not how you treat loyal customers.

13. SimonR2

SimonR2 Bit poster

I just upgraded from 10 to 12 and was VERY disappointed to see that Templates have been removed. I have many templates that I cannot easily deploy now. There is a work around, just copy the template and then convert to a VM. For new templates just name a VM "TEMPLATE" and try your best not to accidently use it. :)

I am very disappointed that Parallels feels that the template functionality is a "PRO" feature. I have been a user since 4.0 and this gives me the impression that the company is now going in a different directon. I won't be singing their praises anymore.

14. SPelly

SPelly Member

I just discovered that templates have been removed from Parallels 12. It feels a bit like a violation. It's a feature that I use. Not on a regular basis, but part of what the product "is". -- Er, was. Especially since we are almost forced to purchase annual upgrades anyway.

@tjementum, you asked about Fusion vs. Parallels. I've used both over the years. Early on, Fusion had much better hardware support. My workflow used external USB devices that worked flawlessly under Fusion but regularly had problems under Parallels. That distinction has mostly vanished in later versions. I do prefer Parallels snapshotting and configuration screens.