Problem: Error Loading \PrlSAShellExt.dll the specified module could not be found.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacNo0b, Jul 22, 2007.

1. MacNo0b

MacNo0b Bit poster

Crash, drivers problems with Parallel Desktop 4560 newest version.

Hi, just updated to the newest parallel version 4560 and did a fresh install of Vista. I couldnt complete the installation. Parallel always crashed after the network set up. I reinstalled vista and XP like 3,4 times and it always crashed on me. I still can run vista but I get this error everytimes I boot up vista.

Error Loading \PrlSAShellExt.dll the specified module could not be found.

Vista still seems to run well, not sure if that error would affect it in anyway? Drivers seem to be all installed. It is annoying to see that error everytime i boot up windows. Is there anyway I can fix this? Thank you

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. MacNo0b

MacNo0b Bit poster

Anyone? Thanks

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

middle of sunday night in USA
    6 55 am monday in Europe

try running Windows Live One Care to look for registry errors
    whilst you are waiting

http://onecare.live.com/

Hugh W

4. MacNo0b

MacNo0b Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. I switched back to XP and it seems to be working well now, Vista sux with its bugs. Do you know the answer to file transfer between Mac and Windows? Thank you

5. MacNo0b

MacNo0b Bit poster

BTW, thanks for the link. I will try that onecare thingy, is it any good?

6. mkenwood

mkenwood Bit poster

prlsashellxt.dll error

Here's a related incident:

After upgrading to the newest version of Parallels, application sharing is suddenly kicking in for the first time and trying to annoyingly open all my Word docs (and everything else) in Windows, even though I have the Mac apps. I uninstalled Parallels Tools, then reinstalled it w/o the Shared Applications. Now, when WinXP starts, I get a message that it can't load the file prlsashellext.dll, "specific module could not be loaded". I did another uninstall/reinstall of Parallels Tools with the same error.

Besides that, Windows runs fine. Docs now open in the Mac program, though the icons seems to have changed from Word.

No luck with OneCare, which is no surprise.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

mk

7. kat

kat Product Expert

Do you have smart select turned on? That may be the issue.

8. Steveb

Steveb Bit poster

I have the exact same issue described by the originator of this thread. (Message: "Error Loading \PrlSAShellExt.dll," but not apparent problems running Vista Home Premium). Any solutions yet? Is this benign?

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B04

Thanks, --sb

9. coomkeen

coomkeen Bit poster

missing file

I've got exactly the same problem, although it doesn't seem to stop XP running.
    The file prlsashellext.dll is missing, and having searched the whole hard disc it is not there.
    Where do I get this file please, and where do I put it when I've got it?

Regards,
    Ron

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

I'll take an educated guess, that when you uninstalled tools and reinstalled, a registry entry was left over that tries to load that file on startup. Download the Autoruns utility from SysInternals (http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip), run it in Windows and find the entry that's loading it. Remove that entry and you won't get the message any longer. You probably don't want the file.

11. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Bit poster

I have had this too. To fix it, I went through the process in the Parallels FAQ:
    Repair Disk Permissions
    Uninstall Parallels desktop
    Delete (if still present):
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    /Applications/Parallels
    /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    Repair permissions again.
    Restart
    Reinstall Parallels.
    In my case, the uninstaller had removed all the files so all that was necessary was a permissions repair/uninstall/permissions repair/restart/reinstall.