Windows 10 Bootcamp VM can't validate!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by imacken, Jul 29, 2015.

1. AnthonyL1

AnthonyL1 Bit poster

Moonbeam, thanks for your interest but Win10 is already activated in Bootcamp. It's when I access it through Parallels that it's not. I already tried twice on the phone with Microsoft but it was a complete waste of time. It takes an age and much number input to get to speak to someone. The phone line is terrible. When you finally get someone you can't hear or understand what is being said. You can't have a relaxed conversation. And of course, they aren't technicians, they're first line phone monkeys, they follow a script. They said they in no way give out activation keys. First time they said take it up with Parallels. Second time they said take it up with Apple. Meantime Parallels marked my ticket as Resolved.
    Microsoft has every right to decide how its activation process works. Parallels and other VM software providers need to up their game to have their software as compatible as they claim. They've had more than enough time now to sort it out with Microsoft.
    I use OSX and Windows software on my iMac and until I the upgrade to Win10 I could quickly and easily switch between OSs with Parallels. Now I have to keep rebooting through the day.
    GET IT SORTED PARALLELS.

2. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

Anythony, I understand both your frustration and the problem you're trying to solve. I apologize in advance for the wall of text that follows.

For Windows 8 (and presumably Windows 7) a straightforward procedure existed to activate both the native BC and the Parallels BC VM, which amounted to an online activation of the native BC, followed by a phone activation of the BC VM using an automated system. As best as I understand it, the key supplied with a full retail version of W7/8 allows for re-activations as necessitated by major hardware changes or an outright system replacement. I don't know if the same is true for full retail version of Windows 10, but I certainly hope so.

The free Windows 10 upgrade seems to reduce whatever license type you had into one that behaves like an OEM key; it's only good for the first system it's installed on. This will be an issue for system upgrades once the free upgrade period runs out, but it's already a problem for Parallels and VMware BC users as witnessed in this thread.

The best workaround I'm aware of that activates both the BC and BC VM is method #101, which requires the creation of a new BC VM, replacing its BC disk with a new and temporary virtual disk, installing and activating a Windows version that qualifies for the free upgrade onto the temporary disk (this step may require multiple upgrades depending on the available licenses, and probably phone rather than online activation), followed by an upgrade to Windows 10 and making sure it activates. Once this is done, the BC VMs disk needs to be reset to the BC partition and the temporary disk can be discarded. The BC VM should remain activated after a reboot using the BC partition; the native BC it should re-activate within a minute or so.

To be very clear, this is a time-consuming and contorted process, but it seems to work when followed step by step. It also assumes that the licenses/keys used in the process can be re-activated one way or the other. Since Parallels isn't in charge of Microsoft's licensing policy, you can't blame Parallels for the activation failures. However, you can blame Parallels for failing to make this problem explicit to their users and particularly for failing to mention it in their adverts for the P11 upgrade (my apologies if it was mentioned and I skipped right over it).

There is another potential avenue to solve this problem. It used to be possible to upgrade VMs running the now-expired insider previews to the full retail version, which activated with the I.P. license key supplied when registering with Microsoft. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of Parallels VM config files, but it may be possible to transplant whatever VM ID data there is from an activated non-BC VM to the BC one. This might suffice to activate the BC VM.

Yet another method is to remain on insider previews, if the full telemetry isn't a concern. My understanding is that the I.P. will remain free, but I could well be mistaken.

Finally, considering the amount of time I myself sunk into getting both parts of the BC/VM combo activated, I would have come out ahead by grudgingly purchasing a retail Windows 10 license. Hope springs eternal and perhaps Microsoft will solve this problem on their end; at least there's still the better part of a year left.

3. JNieves

JNieves Junior Member

Lucky you. This was my experience, I couldn't even get a coherent answer:

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Cherry L.
    10:42 am
    Hello

Hi, how may I help you?
    I have a fully activated copy of Win 10 running on my Mac under Boot Camp but I'm unable to activate the same copy running on a virtual machine under Parallels
    10:43 am

Used to work just fine when it was Win 7 Pro
    10:43 am

Oh I am sorry to hear that
    10:44 am

Sorry but you need to go to apple store for them to activate it for you.
    10:45 am
    Apple store won't activate Windows 10
    10:46 am

Apple doesn't make Parallels, and it's working fine under Boot Camp, as I said
    10:46 am

Yes they can because they have a tools for that and there are some device to mac we cant fix
    10:47 am
    I was on the phone a while ago and one of your reps gave me a new key but it doesn't work

No they can't, please don't insist

Sorry but we cant do that for you. Only the apple store can activate it for you.
    10:49 am
    Are you able to transfer me to someone who can actually understand my problem, you don't seem to.
    10:49 am

The Apple store can not activate Windows 10 and the fact that you are suggesting it tells me you are out of your depth.
    10:51 am

Is it okay if I will give a phone number for our windows department?
    10:52 am
    Sure, that would help.
    10:53 am

1-800-642-7676

10:53 am

Thank you for contacting Microsoft answer desk have a wonderful day!
    10:54 am

4. AnthonyL1

AnthonyL1 Bit poster

My conversation, or what I could understand of it, with MS Support was much the same and nothing like the one PhilS1 had. I am certainly not impressed with Microsoft's or Parallels' responses. And I can't do anything that involves use of my previous Product Key because that was used for the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on Bootcamp.
    As far as I'm concerned the issue is down to Parallels to resolve with MS.
    Are Parallels actually doing anything about it??? I have not seen any evidence to suggest they are.

5. JNieves

JNieves Junior Member

Epilogue:
    After trying with six different reps via chat I hit the jackpot with number seven. He was able to give me a reasonable explanation on why Win 10 would not activate (in my case I was using a recycled OEM key, he said it would not activate for any different hardware config after the first; makes sense even if it's not exactly what's wrong here). I gave him another key that I'd bought in the Microsoft store. As far as I know that key had also been used for a Win 10 upgrade but I couldn't swear to it. His words were something to the effect that since the second key I gave him was a valid retail key I could use it to activate Win 10. He then proceeded to take over my VM and entered a new Win 10 key that worked for activation. I haven't logged back in via Boot Camp yet, and I'm not very anxious to.

6. Ahren

Ahren Bit poster

This also worked for me. I'm just posting this here in case anyone has trouble. I had Windows activated via Bootcamp and my VM was not activated. I actually did go ahead a create a new VM under Windows 7 Pro, updated it fully and then upgraded it to Windows 10. After that, I shut it down, opened the configuration options and under the Hardware tab, Hard Disk 1, Advanced > Location I changed it to the same partition as my Bootcamp VM. It was handy here to open the configuration for my first (non-activating) Bootcamp VM and compare it with the settings for my new VM. Ater I changed the location to Bootcamp, I booted and it worked perfectly! It re-installed Parallels Tools and I was good to go. However, I noticed that the .pvm files was still 68GB because it still contained the old Hdd file. To slim down that .pvm file right click and choose "Show Package Contents", find the large .hdd file and delete it. You don't need it anymore because your VM is using the stuff on your Bootcampt partition now.

I know this method is a pain and requires two Windows keys (I'm lucky that I can use a a couple activations from our MAK at work), but it worked and now I have my cake and I can eat it too.

7. ChrisM3

ChrisM3 Junior Member

Looks like this will never be fixed then?

NoelM1 likes this.
  8. Macwinrob

Macwinrob Bit poster

I'm trying to do this, but need some help! I've created a new virtual hard disk within the bootcamp vm, but how do I install win8 on it?

9. Macwinrob

Macwinrob Bit poster

Ok, I think I got it. Switched the Hard Drive 1 source to the new image file (Hard Drive 2) and started the VM. At first there were some error/alerts saying ??? not found, but then it somehow found the ISO CD and started installing Win8.

10. Macwinrob

Macwinrob Bit poster

Got Win8 installed, but cannot activate: "Key in use by another PC..."

11. moonbeam

moonbeam Junior Member

If the key is for an OEM/system builder version of Windows, then you're probably out of luck. If it's for the full retail version, you'll need to activate by phone.

12. Macwinrob

Macwinrob Bit poster

Yep- that's the case. Unfortunately, I don't have another key. I guess I'll try calling Microsoft. Not ready to spend $40 - $50 for a key.

13. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

See EDIT at end of post...

Microsoft are about to release a new version of Windows 10, and a significant change is that it is possible to install Windows 10 directly and activate it by entering a Windows 7 or 8.1 key. You don't have to get the free upgrade by installing 7 or 8.1 first. This came in at Insider Preview build 10565 and is in the latest build 10586 which is believed on the Insider forums to be the one that is about to be generally released.
    I am hoping this will get round the problem of activating the Parallels VM of a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition, by being able to directly enter the Windows 7 or 8.1 key.
    I have installed build 10586 directly in Bootcamp on both my Macs and activated using the Windows 7 keys (original Retail DVD purchases). Both these keys had been previously used for a free in-place upgrade from 7 to 10 in Parallels VMs before I switched to Bootcamp, so the upgrade activation is not a one-time thing. I could try creating VM s of Windows 10 b10586 Bootcamp and activating with the Windows 7 keys, but have not done so. Last time I used Bootcamp in conjunction with Parallels (a few years ago) I got into problems and have preferred to stay either BC or Parallels since then. Perhaps now is the time to try again.

EDIT.....I just created a VM from my Bootcamp Win 10 build 10586....and tried to activate with the Win7 Key....got the message that it was in use by another machine.

Sorry for raising any hopes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  14. Macwinrob

Macwinrob Bit poster

Well here's a happy development, for me anyway:

I've been fiddling with this for the past several days- under the assumption that Windows 10 was activated in native Boot Camp, because I never saw the message "Windows is not activated" in native Boot Camp Win10, whereas I would always see that message in the VM under settings/activation. Well I was checking PC properties in native Boot Camp Win10, you know, where it usually says "Genuine Windows" or something like that, and instead I see a hyperlink at the bottom that says "Go online to activate Windows." Well, damn! Clicked it, it activated quickly, AND THEN....

I restarted OS X (El Capitan) and booted the Boot Camp VM. Within a minute the status changed to "Windows is activated." Hot damn! So, naturally I double checked by booting directly into native Boot Camp Win10 again and then back to the VM. Activated in both access methods! I'm not sure what changed- did I never activate Win10 after the original upgrade from 8.1? It never occurred to me- thought new installations activated automatically?

Anyway, I'm thrilled. Things are now behaving as they did with Win8.1, except that then, when going from native to VM, or vice versa, it would take several minutes for Windows to indicate "activated".

15. WernerG2

WernerG2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I have had the same or similiar problem: Macbook Pro, bootcamp, W10Pro, Parallels --- W10Pro
    Microsoft says "not activated"
    I read just here all the posts and I followed all the steps, but without succes.
    So I called to Microsoft, but they deniened to give me another key!
    Finally I bought a new licence. The window to enter the new licence allready was frozen,
    but it was very helpfull for me to do it with "slui 3".
    Activation was inmediatly.
    My Office 2007, which was also blocked, could be activated with the original key without buying another license.
    So, I have advanced, but I am not happy at all:
    1) now, every time I switch from bootcamp-W10 to parallels-W10 or viceversa, Microsoft ask for my identity,
    that I have to confirm ......
    2) My W10 Pro has 2 partitions, C: and D: The VM-W10 didn´t recognize the D: and once more
    Parallels sopport was a desaster!!! No solution from them. I found it myself later. You have to click
    some times in configuration - HDD and activate it from there.
    3) Didn´t work Coherence, so I contact once more to Parallels sopport with the result, that they have
    no solution! I cannot believe it, that they are so stupide. I resolved it myself later. The problem is,
    that I have no idea of IT and I need a lot of time to try things .......
    4) The last "sopport" from Parallels destroyed "parallels shared folders" en W10 ........ I don´t know
    how to fix this

Never, never again ........

16. JimF1

JimF1 Bit poster

Hi all.

I've been monitoring this thread in preparation for a dual Boot Camp + Parallels VM installation of Windows 10. Finally took the plunge and can report a successful activation of both boot camp and VM installations using a single license.

My install is based on Parallels 11 and Windows 10 Education edition with a unique purchased product key, not a free upgrade. Steps followed were identical to my previous Windows 8.1 Pro installation.
    1. Clean installed Windows 10 using El Capitan Boot Camp Assistant and input product key immediately when prompted (did not wait till after the installation).
    2. Activated on line, shutdown boot camp and restarted in OS X.
    3. Followed a standard Parallels VM install using Boot camp and allowed Parallels Tools to install. At completion the Windows VM install was showing not activated. Restarted to check the Boot Camp install which was still showing activated.
    4. Restarted to OS X and the Boot Camp VM. Attempted online activation which returned error code 0xC004C008 - product key already in use. Option for phone activation provided.
    5. Followed automated phone activation which advised same error - product key already in use. Transferred to a phone operator who asked what upgrade I was attempting. I advised this was not an upgrade but a new install with unique product key. He then provided an ID code which successfully activated the VM installation.
    6. Restarted to Boot Camp and confirmed this was still activated. Restarted to VM installation and this also showing still activated.
    Something I noted with my previous Win 8.1 pro was a lag for it to switch from "not activated" to "activated" when switching from VM to boot camp and vice-versa. With this Windows 10 install the activation is immediate.

My interpretation is a single license can successfully run on both Boot Camp and Parallels VM if you have purchased a unique Windows 10 product key. As suggested elsewhere, I think Windows 10 free upgrade is treated similar to OEM and is stricter in its allowance of perceived hardware changes.

My next challenge is to do the same for a Microsoft Office 2016 installation.

Hope this helps.

17. TabSel

TabSel Junior Member

Will there ever be a working official solution?

Latest update of parallels, and of Windows 10, and win10 doesn't activate in boot camp based vm, but native boot camp win10 IS activated

NoelM1 likes this.
  18. ByronC

ByronC Bit poster

I had this problem with Windows 10 on 2 Macs. One was an upgrade from Windows 8.1 and the other was Windows 10 purchased separately. In the case of the 8.1 to 10 I was able to reactivate the Virtual Machine by re-entering the original product key and the problem stopped. On further investigation, I checked the integrity of Windows and found that both Boot Camp installations were corrupt. I went to Command Prompt, run as administrator, sfc /scannow. I would suggest you check the integrity of your Windows installation to see if there is corruption of the operating system. I could not repair either OS and ended up reinstalling Windows as a virtual machine on both computers. The computer that had Windows 10 from scratch also had problems with the partition map. Have you checked Disk utility? When I went to Boot Camp assistant and tried to remove the Boot Camp partition, the process failed. I made sure my Time Machine Backup was current, went to the recovery mode and erased the entire drive at the top level and reinstalled Mac OS and Windows. Your experience may be completely different, but I would at least make sure Windows is not corrupted.

19. JimF1

JimF1 Bit poster

Just completed the recent Parallels update from 11.1.1 to 11.1.2. Went smoothly with both native Boot Camp and Boot Camp based VM still activated, no requirement to re-activate either. As mentioned in my earlier post I am using a paid license version of Windows 10 Education, not the free upgrade. Interested to know if the dual boot problem being experienced by others is specific to the Win 10 free upgrade.

20. BjornP1

BjornP1 Bit poster

I have Windows 10 successfully installed (free upgrade) and activated it under bootcamp shortly after Windows 10 came out, but it would not activate when running Windows 10 under Parallels Desktop 10. I have since then been patiently checking the forums and been hoping for a solution, but so far I see no progress. I tried the phone activation some suggest may work, but Microsoft wanted only to help by selling me a Windows 10 Pro license for 250 Euro (even more in US$). It may work in the United States with phone activation, but in Europe apparently not. I also can see when logging onto my Microsoft account that they consider every tuning step to Parallels Desktop made create another entry for an "illegal" Windows copy (or provide Microsoft with another possibility to charge another 250 Euro!). I will not pay for a "free" upgrade and have no desire to try to find workarounds, which probably only will work temporarily, a proper solution is needed!

Is this the end of Parallels Desktop for Mac? I used it since over 5 years, liked the possibilities the software provided and it would be sad if it had to come to an end this way. After using Windows 10 only under Bootcamp for a while (where I also get all updates installed as it is a legal copy), I got an additional problem that I couldn't even boot Windows 10 up under Parallels anymore. I tried today deleting and recreating the VM to get things up and running again. After several hours of struggling (and again creating further "illegal" Windows 10 copies), I could finally start Parallels up again only to find that the problem with the activation is still there. Now I can no longer even select the phone activation, that menu is disabled, but as long as there is no worldwide agreement between Parallels and Microsoft it wouldn't help anyhow. As things are right now, I guess Parallels Desktop 10 was the last version for me (and probably for several others affected by this problem). Without a solution to the general licensing issues with Microsoft, which came into effect with Windows 10, an upgrade to Parallels Desktop 11 is no longer an option, despite recent attractive offer bundles. Or is there any hope left of a solution? After almost half a year since the first post of the thread and still no solution in sight, I guess it is slowly time to say goodbye to Parallels Desktop. It is really a pity :-(