More than 16 cores / threads ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by FredUntu, Jan 10, 2016.

1. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi,
    As I just got an "old" but still really good Mac Pro with 2 X Xeon 5675 CPU's, I now have 2 X 6 physical cores.
    As those CPU are hyperthreaded, I now 24 threads.
    The Parallels settings allow to configure "only" 16 threads.
    Is there a reason for that 16 threads limit (which also exists in VMWare but not in VirtualBox...) ?
    Is there a way to circumvent that limitation and have Parallels Desktop for Mac running the full 24 cores of my Virtual Machine (running Linux Debian 8) ?

Thanks a lot for any answer about this...

Regards.

FRED

2. David_T

David_T Member

Do you need 24 cores running on an emulator?

I would expect the 16 is probably at twice what most people could currently have.

3. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi David_T,

If I need them ? No...
    If I want them ? Yes :)

Why ? Because I like to build software (especially for my smartphone).
    If you're familiar with that process, you know how much time it takes.
    So being able to use 12 cores / 24 threads would increase build times by about 40% (I would hope 50% but let's not be too optimistic !).

4. David_T

David_T Member

I was more thinking if you really need it then it may be getting beyond an emulator, and you'd be better off with something native. I know the convenience of emulators here too.

And how long software can take. I'm always amazed smartphone apps are so big and take so long to compile, compared to when I first starting programming on 286/386 machines.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  5. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi David,
    Well, I tried to boot my Mac Pro natively into Linux.
    I managed to do so... but it soon turned out that I can't live without MacOS (not for the OS, but for the software. I probably could do with a VM running Windows in Linux. Will try that... when I'll have some more time).
    But then turning back to Mac has been a little nightmare... probably because you have to install that "rEFInd" on your hard drive and, once installed, it screws up things a little.

6. David_T

David_T Member

If you you had a time machine backup done then you can restore direct from boot to that Time Machine point.