Windows 7 Password Reset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ampm11, Jun 11, 2012.

1. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

2. ShawnS2

ShawnS2 Bit poster

Thanks Anamareddyj. Worked perfect! Tried all types of solutions but this was the only one that actually works for a Window password reset.

3. ShawnS2

ShawnS2 Bit poster

Thanks. Worked perfect! I tried many other ways but this was the
    simpilist and did the job.

Tha

4. ShawnS2

ShawnS2 Bit poster

Thanks. Worked perfect! Simple unlike the other solutions I found which didn't help with Parallels.

5. JeffreyL1

JeffreyL1 Bit poster

I tried this and at the end I got the following response:
    "The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition"
    I currently have Parallels for Mac Version 11.1.2
    Is there a way for me to reset my PW with this version. I too have no idea why it is requesting a PW and can't seem to figure out a way around it. I do need to get into my windows software soon. I greatly appreciate any help.
    Thanks

6. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Jeffrey,
    Please refer to this article and see if it helps!

7. KeithW3

KeithW3 Bit poster

I have tried using prlctl commands - however I get the following error when using prlctl set or prlctl exec

The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition.

How can I reset the password and get around this error?

8. gadi7788

gadi7788 Bit poster

9. gadi7788

gadi7788 Bit poster

Hello,
    I am so pleased - the work around to fix the lost Windows 7 password worked smoothly.
    In fact the password was not lost but I had to upload my Virtual Machine from my Time Machine after an OS crash. For some reason Windows did not recognize my password. Thanks a lot for relatively simple and easy solution. Gadiel.

10. protomik

protomik Bit poster

The trick listed on #2 doesn't work on Windows 10 guest. Anyone has an solution to reset win10 login password? UUkeys is the right app to reset admin password for all Windows based computer and VMs.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  11. Please check this article and if it's not that case let us know.

12. andreas4

andreas4 Bit poster

Hi,
    In the past I was able to use the "prlctl set" command to reset my Windows7 password. I recently upgraded Parallels to version 11.2.0 (32581) and the command no longer works in that version. Instead I get the following error: "The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition."
    So how do I reset the Windows 7 password using this version?

13. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello andreas4,

Please backup your virtual machine before trying these steps for resetting Windows password.

Thanks,
    Ajith M.

14. PeterR2

PeterR2 Bit poster

This is a great process, and I was hopeful. However at the last step, there was failure.
    This problem started when my UPS failed on a power outage yesterday. Since, I cannot log into The Windows 7 VM. It was up and running when the iMac went down.
    The command in the terminal: prlctl set b8593669-d900-40bc-94e7-51f426956299 --userpasswd peter:123 - this should have worked!
    The return message: The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition.
    I am running Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac, on an iMac funning 10.11.6.

Any help would be appreciated.

15. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello PeterR2,

Please backup your virtual machine before trying these steps for resetting Windows password.

Thanks,
    Ajith M.

16. PeterR2

PeterR2 Bit poster

Ajith M,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am running in Parallels on an iMac. I don't believe I have the disks for when I did the install. Is there a method other than requiring hardware to reset the PW in Parallels on in iMac?
    Peter

17. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi PeterR2,

You can use option two provided in the article and try to reset the password but before following those steps take a backup.

Thanks,
    Ajith M.

18. MichaelC12

MichaelC12 Bit poster

Ram,
    I am unable to use any of the methods suggested for resetting the Windows 7 password.
    I do not have other versions of windows therefore "Boot from Windows 8 or Windows 10" does not work.
    When I tried prlctl this come up "The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition."
    When I tried to replace the Utilman.exe with cmd.exe I got "error -32". I now have Utilman.original.exe and Utilman.original2.exe AND Utilman.exe
    What are my options.
    Mike
    iMac late 2012 running OS X El Cap and Parallels 12

19. DougA1

DougA1 Bit poster

When I use option 2 (article 117557) and I try to open my hard drive file with parallels mounter I get 'Unable to get write access to the virtual hard disk' error. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Doug

20. MackP

MackP Bit poster

I made a password reset disk with USB, but my computer doesn't detect it. What would be the problem?

p.s figured out the problem: the burning app failed to fully write the ISO to USB. Now, I followed this guide to reset windows 7 password. It seems quite user friendly for beginners.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017