Windows 10 will not launch after latest update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnP8, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ChrisB10

ChrisB10 Bit poster

I'm also having this problem right after installing 11.1.2. Frequently getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bsod's on my Windows 8.1 guest OS, sometimes right at startup, sometimes a few minutes after logging in. I have no "Advanced Options" link available in my config, so no "Nested Virtualization" option to disable. Going to try and reinstall 11.1.1 from the link posted earlier. Not a great morning!

Also disappointed to see other people reporting this earlier in the week, but I was still prompted to install this "update" days later on Friday. Shouldn't this have been pulled?

Joseph H and mrutter like this.
  2. BenoitR

BenoitR Bit poster

Yeah, I don't understand why Parallels doesn't pull this update. It's clearly broken.

Joseph H and mrutter like this.
  3. Joseph H

Joseph H Bit poster

It definitely should have been.

We've just bought VMWare Fusion licenses to replace all our Parallels ones. It's forgivable to make mistakes; it's not forgivable to leave an build with a very bad regression available for weeks.

BenoitR likes this.
  4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

5. Joseph H

Joseph H Bit poster

Disabling nested virtualisation does not help us (or some of the other posters on this thread) as we need nested virtualisation to run the Windows Surface emulator to test WinRT/Windows Phone/etc apps.

It also doesn't address why parallels is still shipping an update with a huge regression that causes severe crashes that risk data loss. It corrupted one of our Windows VMs to the point that a clean reinstall was necessary.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    DanM5 likes this.
  6. DanM5

DanM5 Bit poster

+1... Disabling nested virtualization fixed the constant crashes, but I need that feature to do win phone app development.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear Dan, we're currently working on it with our Development. Unfortunately we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at http://kb.parallels.com/123410

wbtrans and DanM5 like this.
  8. mikezoom

mikezoom Bit poster

so i have just found this thred and guess what my win 10 virtual machine called my boot camp has now been lost, and whilst ive been on a wild goose chase trying this and that, ive probably cocked the whole thing up, now i found out its parallels update fault, how kind of you to cost me a day out of my business to try and fix this, parallels customer service even took over my screen and may have made thing worse. well done parallels.

9. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

So, I finally got around to downgrading as I couldn't put off some mobile testing work any longer. But, I can't install the parallels tools because the newer parallels tools from 11.1.2 don't seem to be uninstalling entirely. So I'm back to 11.1.2 w/o nested visualization.

In the future can you include a utility on the parallels tools ISO for windows to completely remove parallels tools? I've been working at this for the last few hours and I'm calling it quits...

10. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Tried all the solutions mentioned in this topic, but no luck, Windows 10 keeps hanging.
    I give it one more week of waiting for an adequate update, if necessary i'll have to go for an alternative.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. RahulJ1

RahulJ1 Bit poster

Thanks for this thread, I am going to try and disable the nested virtualisation and see if it solves the issue.

12. wbtrans

wbtrans Bit poster

Hi Paul
    Good to know that you are working on it. I hope, you realized that the nested virtualization issue is not the only problem that was introduced with this buggy update. There are quite a few other reports of severe problems. In my case, the problem I had (reported above) could not be solved by disabling nested virtualization (which actually was not enabled in my configuration anyway). Rolling back to the 32312 build immediately solved my problem, but i lost about three hours of my time trying to find out what was going wrong until I found the other reports on this forum about problems with this build and decided to go back to the earlier version.
    I know that even with thorough testing you can't guarantee that your software is bug-free, but in this case something really seems to have gone wrong. What I don't understand is that you don't withdraw this buggy release until the problems are solved.
    How many users do you want to lose hours of their time trying to fix the problem they get because of this?
    Walter

Joseph H likes this.
  13. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

100% agreed with the previous speaker.

14. StevenR4

StevenR4 Bit poster

I finally gave into the nagging from the product to update. I then lost 1/2 day of work due to these issues. I then find the upgrade is known to be garbage.

Everyones software has bugs. A good software company knows how to respond when they occur.

15. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Any ETA on the next update to address the nested virtualization issue? I CAN'T downgrade because I can't uninstall the parallels tools in my Win10 VM....

Edit:
    I was able to finally get the Parallels tools installed. It was stuck on installing the Parallels Location Provider driver. I was able to get the driver removed from the system by using PnPUtil.

In an Administrative Command Prompt I ran:
    Code:
    C:\>PnPUtil /e > %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\oem-drivers.txt
    I searched through the file on my desktop that involved the location sensor and parallels, then ran the following command for each oem{nn}.inf file found (where nn is the number of the inf file).
    Code:
    C:\>PnPUtil /d oem{nn}.inf 
    Note: Be sure it is the Parallels Location Sensor that you are removing, there may be a Microsoft one in there too.

Update:
    Since I've downgraded I CAN'T get the Windows 8.1 Phone Emulator or any Hyper-V VM to actually run (like it did before the update fiasco). Here's output from CoreInfo.exe -v:
    Code:
    Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
    Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Note: Coreinfo must be executed on a system without a hypervisor running for
    accurate results.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4870HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Intel64 Family 6 Model 70 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
    Microcode signature: 0000000F
    HYPERVISOR      *       Hypervisor is present
    VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
    EPT             -       Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

I do have the Nested Virtualization option checked under CPU in PD 11 Pro 11.1.1 (32312)

I have started a new thread here.

Update 2:

Given that I have resolved the issue of getting Hyper-V working again (there were system users in the Local Administrators group). I'm wondering if that may have correlated to the BSOD encountered in the PD 11.1.2 update. I'm going to backup my VM, update PD and try that - I'll post my findings afterward.

Update 3:
    Finally having time this weekend I was able to test the upgrade to 11.2 again after resolving other issues that I thought may have been related to the BSOD experience. I was ecstatic for about 10 minutes. I was able to get a Windows Phone Emulator (Hyper-V) along with Android device emulation. Things were running great! But then.... BSOD and it all went downhill from there. So, I rolled back to my snapshot and downgraded to 11.1. The most frustrating part of this is that I want the features/bug fixes addressed in 11.2 but I CAN'T get it because of this BSOD issue.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  16. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Update PD11 please :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Enable nested virtualization support

Note: This feature is available in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition only.

I saw this later in the help search box (PD11)

18. AegisI

AegisI Member

Hello Friends
    I thinks so windows 10 latest update launched.

19. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

still my start menu is frozen, for me not a drama because i need it for only 1 program (windows only) and it works still fine.
    I still can launch that program in coherence from my MAC taskbar.
    But in my opinion very sloppy for draw your wallet each year software :)

20. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Kindly make sure that the RAM is not more than 4 GB and 1 CPU core is selected and let us know if the issue persists.