Upgrading host AND VM.. Instructions?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AugieS, Jan 29, 2016.

1. AugieS

AugieS Bit poster

Hi everyone--

I'm running Parallels 7 (Win7; not upgrading to Win10) on a 2009 Macbook Pro (8gig ram), running Mountain Lion.
    With Mountain Lion reaching end-of-life in April, I intend to upgrade the Macbook Pro to El Capitain in the next month or so. I know that at the same time, I'll have to upgrade (buy a full license actually) to Parallels 11. My simple question is, what order should I do things? Upgrade OS X first and then Parallels, or vice-versa? Any potential pitfalls? I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Windows, etc -- I'd like to run the respective installers, and just have everything up and running with as little pain as possible. I should probably also mention that parallels is running from a boot camp installation of Windows 7

Can someone please lay out the instructions for me? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi AugieS, upgrade the Mac OS X first and then install Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. An the Windows is installed in the Boot Camp partition you just have to install Parallels Desktop and add the Boot Camp partition to use as Parallels Desktop virtual machine.

3. AugieS

AugieS Bit poster

Will do, thanks Dhruba!

Dhruba@Parallels likes this.