Nero 7.0.1.2 with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by androsyyz, May 8, 2006.

1. androsyyz

androsyyz Junior Member

When I attempt to burn a CD-R using Nero 7.0.1.2 on Windows XP within the Parallel Workstation beta 6 environment, the CD/DVD burner doesn't seem to get detected. The only option when I go to the choose recorder section is "image recorder which saves an image to disk.

Does anyone have this working and if so, what do you think might be the problem?

I'm able to burn CD-R/DVD-R on the Mac side using Toast 7.

2. wesley

wesley Pro

Parallels guys mentioned that the current implementation of the optical drive is an emulated one. Therefore you can't use it to burn a disc, and neither would copy-protected games install/run properly. They said that a 'pass-through' implementation will eventually appear so that the physical drive can be directly manipulated from within the VM.

3. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

I know you'll get mad for my asking, but what are you trying to do with Nero that Toast cannot? I have both and I far prefer Toast.:confused:

--Tim

4. androsyyz

androsyyz Junior Member

Use Nero instead of Toast to have access to my files

I use the MacBook pro for my work and have a much more powerful desktop at home (multiple monitors, 6TB disk space...).

I typically write files that I need to work with remotely to a USB key and have backups to my desktop in case I lose the USB key...

My USB keys don't work in the Parallels Workstation beta 6. (I sent an Email to the Parallels team and haven't had any response yet. I also posted a thread last week on this forum asking if anyone had a USB key working and if so, what brand it was, I haven't had any response to that thread either.). I'll buy another USB key if there's a brand/type that works with this environment (I currently have 3 USB keys: Sandisk 1GB, Lexar 256MB, Lexar 1GB).

In any case, I was attempting to use the CD/DVD burner to write files to/from Windows XP as an alternative to the USB key. In attempting to do so, I discovered that the burner doesn't work either (it will only allow me to read CDs/DVDs. I'm simply trying to have access to files that I need to exchange between other systems. I'd prefer to do it using the USB key.

I use Toast as well and I agree that it does everything for me that Nero would have. However, many of my business files (eg: Visio diagrams, Microsoft Project files, Mindjet Mindshare files) are used exclusively on the Windows side so I need to get files in/out of the laptop from the Windows XP side. I need this daily.

I setup a share though am having problems with that too in that it freezes regularly and I'm forced to reboot in order to correct the situation.

Anyway, that's the story.

5. eblot

eblot Junior Member

As a previous user of Windows and Nero, I can't understand why Mac Os X does not support UDF as it should: UDF 2.50, packet writing (also called "Drive Letter Access" on Windows).

In other words, I really miss the "drag n' drop" feature that works nicely and smoothly with DVD+RW (other CD or DVD physical media are bad at packet writing).

I don't want to have to deal with "sessions" and other ISO9660 issues.
    AFAIK, only Nero is able to support UDF on-the-fly writing on optical medium.

I really hope Parallels VM would allow to directly access the SuperDrive from the guest OS.

I've installed bootcamp + WinXP on my MacBookPro, and Nero/InCD works without any issue with the "SuperDrive" and DVD+RW discs.