Is Windows 10 registry part of the PVM archive?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by proudbug, Feb 3, 2016.

1. proudbug

proudbug Bit poster

I deleted a registry key by mistake yesterday, and tried to restore the PVM from time machine. Even after I restored a copy of that PVM (in <my home>/Documents/Parallels directory) dated prior to the deletion, I still couldn't see that registry key. What gives?? Registry is not part of the PVM file? I'm running Windows 10 on Parallels on Mac. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. CccA

CccA Junior Member

As the VMs can be very large files, there is an option in (Configure... Security) to select if they are backed up as part of the Time machine.

3. proudbug

proudbug Bit poster

CccA, Thanks! I believe it's backed up by TimeMachine, I could see large PVM file dated to prior dates. And I could copy it to my machine to overwrite existing one.

Just checked, "Do not back up with Time Machine" option in Configure... is NOT checked. So I'm sure it's being backed up by Time Machine. I guess it's a bug in Parallels working with TimeMachine. It's not doing what it suppose to do. :(

4. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Time machine will only back up the virtual machine if the virtual machine is shut down. Kindly confirm that when Time machine is backing up, Windows is not running so that it will back up the virtual machine properly.

5. proudbug

proudbug Bit poster

Thanks for reply, Manoj Kumar. What do you mean by "shut down"? Is suspending VM considered as "shut down"? I don't usually power down the VM, instead I just quit Parallels, which saves the state and suspends the VM, I believe. Would suspended VM be backed up by Time Machine? Or I must power down the VM to have it backed up? Please clarify. Thank you very much!

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @proudbug, suspending mode is nothing but the virtual machine is in sleep. Please use the option to shut down to back up with the help of Time Machine. Shutting down virtual machine often helps you to install Windows updates too. Please refer to this article.