Bootcamp drive ID changing on OSX reboot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jbcaro, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

First off, I'm not sure why OSX changes the drive id's everytime I reboot or start it. That said, is there any way to get parallels to know when the drive id has changed and update the windows.pvs automagically?

I have tried a script that I found here (Parallels BC Script) but it just seems to correct the drive that XP (bootcamp) is assigned to. It doesn't seem to see any other drives or partitions that can be used.

My MacPro is configured as follows for Windows use:

One drive is partitioned to 2 partitions; one is NTFS for Windows XP (bootcamp) and the other is FAT32 for file exchange between Windows and OSX. Another drive is a single NTFS partition video scratch disk.

I would like all of these drives to be available in Parallels. I have only been able to get the Windows NTFS and FAT32 partitions to be seen in parallels as of now by editing the windows.pvs file as necessary after a OSX startup or reboot. I have not figured out how to get the single NTFS partition drive to show up. Tried several things in the .pvs file but nothing has worked yet.

Thanks for any help.
    j

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Unfortunately there is currently no way to do what you want without having to manually correct the VM configuration after each reboot.

I wrote that script, but it was a quick fix that didn't take long to put together. I'm working on a more complex program (with a proper GUI) that will be able to handle assigning multiple Boot Camp partitions to one VM. It will probably be completed this week, I'll post it here when it is ready.

3. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

Thanks brkirch. The script is great and does exactly what you say it will do. Looking forward to the new and improved version. Glad we have users that can make this product more complete.