CPU % High, laptop running warm

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Stephen_Patton, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Stephen_Patton

Stephen_Patton Bit poster

Since installing Parallels 11 and Windows 10, the VM is running 100+% of CPU. Its killing my battery life and causing my laptop to run hot. What can I do?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Stephen, please try this solution.

3. GregC3

GregC3 Bit poster

HI

I had a issue with the CPU running at 100% and found it was caused by Windows 10 Photo App trying to index photo's in the Mac folders.

To remove the folder open the photo app, at the bottom left corner there is a icon to access settings, in their under Sources you can remove the folder(s) that are not on the windows drive (C), make sure you leave at least 1 folder.

Once I did this I have not had the issue again.

Hope this helps someone as it was driving me up the wall.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Stephen, let's check @GregC3 solution too.
    Thanks, Greg!

5. Stephen_Patton

Stephen_Patton Bit poster

OK. Took me a couple of days to get to this because the solution looked a bit technical and I wanted to make sure I had time to recover if I screwed something up. So... I'm shutting down my VM to prepare and the Windows starts running an update, says it will reboot a few times. I keep bringing the VM up and down until it seems to have stopped updating. Now my CPU utilization is reasonable.... Go figure.... Anyhow, thanks for posting your solution. Fortunately the error corrected itself and I didn't have to try it.

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Sounds good! Let us know is you have more questions.