Windows 10 update performance warning daily annoyance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ThomasD1, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

Everytime I start the Windows 10 VM, I get that message "performance may be affected as windows is installing updates".

It is beyond irritating! As I don't care if that VM gets hacked by half of the planet, I would like to know if there is a way to disable updates forever?

I don't think it is really installing updates all the time, so I wonder if that message appears even when it is looking for updates, or if an update fails and it tries to install it over and over.

Any idea?

2. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

The same thing occurs here too.
    Because it's daily i have the the strong feeling it has to do with Windows defender ( getting it's daily updates)

3. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

H
    Hello Thomas,
    Try following this article and see if you are able to stop the update process.

4. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

+1
    Instead of stopping the update process, wouldn't it be a better solution to detect that the update is for Windows Defender update vs. other Windows updates? If that's not the case, then possibly a timer if the update is taking up X resouces for Y time, then display the notification?

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

6. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Still daily warnings here.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hello ArthurK1, since we need to investigate deeper, please email us the issue description along with the screenshot to cs@parallels.com So that we could check it for you.

8. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

after two days it stopped suddenly

9. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @ArthurK1, glad that the issue resolved. Please let us know if you have more questions.

10. JanneR1

JanneR1 Bit poster

I'm getting this message daily on Windows 10 and the latest version of Parallels Desktop 11.

11. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Also i got the message back after a few days.

12. RobertS15

RobertS15 Bit poster

I have installed build 11.2.0 (32581) of Parallels desktop and I get "Performance may be affected while....." message every time I start and run the Windows 10 VM too. I check the Windows update applet and it is not updating and all updates are installed.
    Any ideas for a fix?

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi RobertS15, Windows updates may slow down your Windows virtual machine performance.
    Go to Actions > Configure > Options > Optimization > disable Free Space: Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization.
    If the "Real-time Virtual Disk Optimization" option is enabled, it may slow disk performance up to 30% (at the moment of compaction, not constantly). If the host has an SSD disk, the feature will be enabled by default for all virtual machines but will work only if it is compatible with the guest OS.
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Optimization tab > Set performance to Faster virtual machine; check Enable adaptive hypervisor and Tune Windows for speed. If you're not running on battery power, you can also turn on the Better performance option.