Nested Hyper-V Server enormously unstable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bcampbell74, Feb 3, 2016.

1. bcampbell74

bcampbell74 Junior Member

Has anyone had any luck running Hyper-V 2012 r2 core as a nested hyper-v server? I have been trying for a day now and I can get it up and running for a few minutes at a time before it goes to a small blank window and stop responding. I've not even been able to get to the point of running a VM on Hyper-V yet.

I'm running Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac Pro Edition build: 32408 on a Mac Mini (late 2014), Intel Core i5, 16Gb RAM 256Gb SSD. OS X El Capitan v 10.11.3

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Bcampbell, please refer to this article to fix to enable "Enable Nested Virtualization checkbox" and let us know how it works.

3. bcampbell74

Hi Paul

Been there already, its not that I'm afraid. Nested Virtualisation has always been enabled.

4. bcampbell74

Just enabled the Hyper V role on what was a working Windows 10 VM (Enabled nested Virtualisation checked). The VM no longer starts. I think nested virtualisation is broken in Parallels.

5. bcampbell74

Working well in Fusion Pro, sorry!

6. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reply with a Problem report ID as per this article so that we can assist you further.

7. bcampbell74

Report ID: 88771694

8. marat_t

marat_t Pro

as far as I know there are some issue with Hyper-V VMs memory paging right now. I'd suggest you trying the previous builds: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v11/11.1.1-32312/ParallelsDesktop-11.1.1-32312.dmg

- delete the current one from /Applications
    - Install the previous (do not agree to update during installations)
    - run VM and reinstall Parallels Tools
    - check the issue

I'm running win 2012 r2 Hyper-V server with 3 nested Win8.1 VMs. it works fine. Keeping in mind that Server 2012 R2 and Win8.1 have the same kernel, I guess downgrading to previous build should work for you.

btw, I'm running it on macmini late 2014 =)

9. bcampbell74

Great, thanks for this Marat. I shall give this a go.

10. bcampbell74

Just got a 2012 Hyper-V Core Host installed there. Everything was a breeze, it does seem to be an issue with the latest build. Will get some VM's running this afternoon. Thank you @Marat@Parallels for your help with this.

11. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Great!
    You are welcome:)