I can not get ubuntu running no matter what version...

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SKIN, Aug 20, 2007.

1. SKIN

SKIN Bit poster

I have parallels for mac version 3.0 build 4560.

I have tried ubuntu server version 6 and 7.

Version 6 just halts at booting kernal

Version 7 just says starting up and then shuts off.

I am really trying to setup a server but I tried the desktop versions of ubuntu as well with similar results.

2. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

try setting vm to less than 512 mb of memory before running the installer. Also, disable the CD drive in VM settup. I have Ubuntu 7.04 running nicely in parallels, with the exception of the known shut down graphics problem.

3. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

You can try already installed Ubuntu Desktop Parallels Virtual Appliance.

Set "vga=791" as kernel boot parameter in Ubuntu guest OS.

4. irelandshope

irelandshope Junior Member

This is a very well know problem and easily solved. You just need to follow the steps in the Parallels Knowledge Base http://kb.parallels.com/entry/31/276/ . I did it a few days ago and it worked great.

5. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

that doesn't do anything...sorry

6. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

I downloaded the pre configured virtual appliance. it worked :) UNTIL I installed paralels tools. Now it gives same error on shutdown. Problem is with the Paralels Tools, nothing else. Without the tools it works as it should. it also works FINE in VMWare...and Parallels has been obstinate in its refusal to fix this long known and well documented problem. Come on Parallels, step up tot he plate and fix the bad programming. If not, your marketshare will continue to plunge because customers just want something that works.

7. hotblack

hotblack Member

The PVA works, but as outlined elsewhere there are numerous problems with it and any install of Ubuntu in Parallels. Support seem to not want to address these in the forums and seem unable to via my formal support requests.

I wish I had confidence that the team were taking these concerns seriously and working towards fixes but so far I've seen nothing to indicate this.

8. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

the New Beta seems to have solved a lot of the problems. without ACP it requires manual shut off, but the crashed graphics seem to have gone away and the Ubuntu "declining progress bar" stays on until it is empty

9. hotblack

hotblack Member

Well, that's a start. I assume this is the Beta of version 3? I'd like to know when they're going to fix this pretty major bugs in version 2.

10. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

yes, the new public beta build 5120 of Parallels 3

11. hotblack

hotblack Member

Thanks Barry. It's good to know that some effort is being made to resolve these issues. But I doubt it will help me unless they decide to roll the fixes into a much needed update of Parallels Desktop 2. This means I'll be stuck with a choice of paying to upgrade to version 3 or paying for a full version of VMware. Given the level of support I've received from Parallels so far, I think I'll probably go for the latter.