Parallels 11 not picking up Windows 10.iso

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JeongG, Feb 11, 2016.

1. JeongG

JeongG Bit poster

Hi.
    I have downloaded Parallels 11 for using Windows 10.
    I got it done, but the program doesn't pick up the iso file.

Actually, when I got Windows 10 downloaded in the Microsoft homepage, my mac can't have it because the system doesn't match the requirements of the file.
    So, I got the iso file downloaded in the other computer which is Window 10 version and then move the file into my mac through a web.
    but, as I said earlier, Parallels 11 can't pick up the ISO file. Why?

--- Q. Should the iso file be in an usb?
    (I do download the programs by paying them)

Hope to have an answer as soon as possible.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello JeongG,
    Please follow the steps suggested at this link to install or create Windows virtual machine using an ISO image file.

3. sky

sky Bit poster

Hi - I'm also having the same problem despite following those instructions. It took over 4 hours to download the ISO file onto my MacBook Air and I'm getting a message that it is unable to detect the file. When I browse and open it states that it does not recognise the file as Windows 10. I downloaded from Parallel (paid) the Windows 10 for Home version. Please help. My link expires soon! Sky

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi Sky,
    Please follow the steps below and check how it goes:
    1. Open Parallels Desktop, you will get the Parallels Wizard screen.
    2. Choose the option that says install Windows from a DVD or an .iso disc image
    3. Click find automatically and check if your ISO file is detected, else choose find manually and drag&drop the iso file.
    4. Next Step, disable the option 'Express Installation' and click continue ( you will need to install Parallels Tools manually after the Windows installation.)
    5. Click Continue in Name and Location , the installation would begin as per this article .

5. PeterO2

PeterO2 Bit poster

Using your procedure to install Windows 10
    Download one of the upgrade tool files (compatible with your version of Windows) using the direct links below:

Download Tool Now (32-bit version)

but what I get is this Mediacreationtool

Are you able to help get the correct file?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi PeterO2, we would suggest you to visit this article and download the media creation tool on Mac browser to download .iso format. We would also suggest you to try this article to learn how to install Windows 10 virtual machine on Parallels Desktop.

7. PeterO2

PeterO2 Bit poster

Paul,

Successfully loaded Windows 10 following your articles
    and thank you for that..

I have one question. Windows 7 still shows when I
    open Windows. Are you able to change the name to
    Windows 10?

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Glad you are able to loaded Windows 10 in Parallels Desktop. Please follow the steps below to change the name of the virtual machine:
    1. Shut down the virtual machine.
    2. Open virtual machine configuration.
    3. Switch to General tab and type the desired name in Name field (Windows 10).
    4. Restart Parallels Desktop.

9. PeterO2

PeterO2 Bit poster

Since changing the name to Windows 10 I appear to have a glitch in Windows in relation to a program which gives the
    following error messages.
    1. Unrecognised version or Microsoft not installed, E*Trade Pro DDE Addin will not be registered.
    Please install Excell 2000 or greater....I have Version 2010..
    2. An unhandled exception occured, and application is terminating. A dump file is being generated....this occurs
    when I click on the etrade icon.

If these can't be sorted is it possible to wind back to using Windows &?

10. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

This might happen because that the application cannot see the installed applications. Try reinstalling Parallels Tools as well as Microsoft Office and let us know how it goes.