Windows 10 - have internet - but no wifi?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by John1234, Aug 16, 2015.

1. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

Machine is a 2010 mbp 8gb ram, 500 gb SSD. I have parallels v10, and windows 10 installed on the bootcamp partition. The computer is not cable connected to our router - all wifi. On the mac side of the world (OS/X 10.10.5) Net gear genie shows everything we have on the wifi network, phones, wifes pc, printer, tablets, tv's, etc.

On windows 10, net gear genie says internet is fine - but that the wifi is disabled. It shows 2 items on the network - the macbook, and the macbook. (we have one mac book) I am able to use the internet on W10. System settings indicate airport is on.

I have been getting an error message that update was failing downloading print drivers - for a printer we don't have and never have had. I checked the devices, w10 was trying to install hp drivers for our xerox phaser (6280dn) printer. Windows 10 seems to have read in the devices from windows 7, and was trying to update drivers even though the printer isn't found by the windows 10 system. Also, since the printer isn't showing up on the network it isn't recognizing it as being ready. I deleted all or most of the devices that were related to that printer. ( long story, but the printer changes it's local addy every time the power gets shut off to the printer.) To save time, whenever its addy changed I added the printer again and kept the old device with it's connection addy - so when the printer decides to changes it's addy, I just have to change the default printer. The printer is not wireless it's connected to the router - which allows us to print to it from anywhere on the network.

On windows 7 pro it was fine - network map was correct, printer seemed to work. Although it seemed like when it was smooth sailing on os/x, windows had trouble finding the printer at times.

I don't quite understand how I have internet access through windows 10 without wifi, unless airport or something is using the macs wifi connection without knowing it's wifi?

I suspect if I can figure out the wifi issue, the printer issue will solve itself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

More information:

Windows 10 can not find the wifi adaptor in the macbook. Under devices it isn't there at all. This seems to be the source of the problem. I don't don't know if this is a W10 issue or a windows 10 in a VM issue, or if there is a problem with the Airport Extreme wifi adaptor in the macbook.

3. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

Hello John1234,
    A virtual machine can use three different networking modes to communicate: Bridged, Shared and Host-Only.
    Please refer http://kb.parallels.com/4948 to learn more about each networking mode and for Setting Up a Network Printer follow http://kb.parallels.com/4886
    Let us know if you have any additional questions.

4. John1234

John1234 Junior Member

Thank you. That seems to answer that question.

5. @John1234 please let us know if the issue still persists or you have any additional questions.

6. lorein

lorein Member

This might be VPN issue you try to check the VPN option and make use of steps given.
    Step-1: Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the drop-down menu and launch Command Prompt as Admin.
    Step-2: Enter the given command and then press Enter
    reg delete HKCRCLSID{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f
    Step-3
    : Now enter the given command and press Enter
    netcfg -v -u dni_dne
    And restart your PC and check the Wi-Fi settings. You should now be able to get all visible networks around.
    Hope this will help you but if not the check this.
    http://www.reimagerepair.us.com/blog/fix-wi-fi-stopped-working-after-updating-windows-10

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @lorein, good options. Ensure you have a snapshot before making any changes, refer to this article.