Windows 10 Start Button & Task Bar Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by markbrads, Nov 3, 2015.

1. markbrads

markbrads Bit poster

Is anybody else having issues with the Windows 10 Start Button and Task Bar?

Over the past 2 months my Start Menu loses 80% all functionality and icons disappear from my task bar namely the shortcut to the Edge Browser and the Windows App store. The fix below was issued by Parallels but only lasts for about a week before it breaks again:-

Windows 10 Fix ~ Resolution

1. In Windows 10 virtual machine create two new local user accounts. Instructions for creating an account are available here.
    2. Sign in to each account, then sign out of all accounts.
    3. Sign in to one of the new accounts again.
    4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following directory of the other new user account (not the one you're signed into).
      C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database
    5. Copy the contents of this folder into the equivalent folder of your main user account (which has issues).
    6. When finished, please sign out of the new account and sign into your main account.
    7. Check Windows 10 Start Menu, it should work. Delete the new user accounts as they are no longer needed.

Any ideas, suggestions or feedback really appreciated as it's driving me to distraction.....

Thanks in advance.

2. ErikN2

ErikN2 Bit poster

I have been having the same problem. It has been going on since I first installed the technical preview this spring. I have been reverting to old snapshots to resolve the issue. This fix worked, but threw away all of my previous favorites.

3. oztrev

oztrev Member

Seems to be a Windows 10 issue, not Parallels as many people running Windows 10 on the bare metal report the issue.

4. typ993

typ993 Junior Member

Yeah, seeing the same thing on Win10 Pro newly upgraded from Win7

5. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

If you are considering a workaround - Shut down the Virtual Machine - Go to Virtual Machine's configuration -> General -> Change the Operating system's version to Windows 8.1 (only the setting from the dropdown) - Start the Virtual Machine - Once fully booted up, enable Windows 7 look so that you will get the stock Windows start menu.

6. flipjr

flipjr Bit poster

I've had this problem continually. It will work fine for a couple of weeks or so then no start menu and slow performance. I revert to a workable previous snapshot, update windows again and it works fine for another small block of time. Is the "fix" by creating the two local accounts above an actual fix? I googled and it seems there is no real Known fix out there for this issue. My computer is connected to a domain and it also cause a non trust issue so that i can't connect back to my domain either until i revert snapshots. If i thought this was a parallels issue i'd move to another vm. But right now it appears a microsoft issue. Any feedback would be appreciated. I've come very close to losing data on this. Now i keep snapshots, Time Machine and store data on one drive and company servers to be safe.
    Thanks
    Mark

7. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi flipjr, creating two local accounts and to replace user profile database is a workaround to resolve the issue with Windows 10 start menu. This error is due to Windows user profile corruption. Microsoft is currently working on a resolution for this issue.

8. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Well Microsoft is sure taking their time for it .

9. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Making an extra users account and sign in there, did the tric for me.
    I have all my functions and start menu etc back!

10. flipjr

flipjr Bit poster

The question is how long that will last though. I was hoping there was a "fix" not just a work around. Right now i am just reverting back to the most recent snapshot of which i keep fresh ones all the time. It's easier than going through the profile user accounts work around. Microsoft should have patched this a long time ago. No excuse for it in a new operating system. If it wasn't for work i wouldn't have any need for MS.

11. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Agreed, they should have fixed it months ago, but knowing MS it can take a lot longer
    Making an extra (fake) account took less than 5 min, and if you like you can delete it later in 1 mouseclick.
    Windows is not my favorite, i'm a MAC fan, but it's only a platform to run a must have Windows only Video editing program for me.
    I'm not an expert, but i say the world is not ripe for Win on a Mac, Win and OSX will be never friends!If necessary they point their finger to each
    other and say " It's THEIR fault, they did it! :D

12. flipjr

flipjr Bit poster

Sounds like Windows runs just as good or better on a Mac than any other hardware. I've read this problem happens on many windows only units. What i find funny is that Windows 10 was beta tested for over a year with many other testers. How in the world did they get through all of that without noticing a user profile corruption problem? Anyway at least there are a few work arounds. As long as i keep fresh back ups then all ok other than some inconvenience.

13. pwalpwal

pwalpwal Bit poster

I've noticed that whenever Parallels 11 creates a snapshot while the Windows 10 is not in use (asleep or minimized), then the problem with the non-responsive Windows 10 Start Menu occurs.

14. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

As creating two local accounts and to replace user profile database is a temporary fix to resolve the issue with Windows 10 start menu. But the error is due to Windows user profile corruption which brings it back sooner or later. Microsoft is currently working on a resolution for this issue. Also, please try to install a fresh version of Windows and check if the issue persists.

15. SeanD1

SeanD1 Bit poster

I'm now very adept at the temporary fix described above. However, every time a new version update of Parallels is deployed I have to redo the fix. It seems like Parallels could resolve their product so Parallels doesn't cause the corruption. We've been waiting for a fix from Microsoft for a long time. Can Parallels at least "do no harm"?

ChristopherH3 likes this.
  16. ChristopherH3

ChristopherH3 Bit poster

Windows 10 never corrupts the user profile on a PC hardware platform, why does it corrupt in Parallels - surely this has to be a Parallels problem. A permanent fix would be really appreciated.

17. flipjr

flipjr Bit poster

Still happening to me as well. This last parallels update started more issues. When i allow tools to load again, no input from my keypad, kind of like what happened in the past with the user profile corruption. So now i have to stop parallels tools to stop loading each time to use windows. Think i might try fusion again after years and see what happens there.

18. DMiles

DMiles Member

This isn't true - I've had a copy of Windows 10 lose its start menu on PC hardware with no VM involved... ONCE - across four difference machines - since Windows 10 shipped.

Under Parallels, though, it happens with almost 100% repeatability whenever I update Parallels and only *after* the Tools are updated. I even created a from-scratch VM with a fresh Win10 install once when it happened, in case there was something on my end doing it, but it still happened again with the next update. Something about updating Parallels Tools seems to trigger the database corruption bug in Windows. Incredibly annoying.

19. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. You may use bootflag as
    devices.usb.ehc=0 and check how it works.

20. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Not working, the problems persists.