Seeminly Random XP lock-ups (Beta6)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CWasko, May 10, 2006.

1. CWasko

CWasko Bit poster

Seemingly random XPSP2 lock-ups (Beta6)

Ever since Beta6, I have been experiencing random lock-ups in XP. Parallels is running fine, but the VM is locked. If I suspend, quit, and then resume, the VM is still locked. Also, the CPU usage is at about 100% when it gets in this state. I'm running a MacBook Pro with the 2.1GHz CPU. I have the Beta6 tools installed and have tried enabling and disabling many of the features to no avail. I have also tried dis/enabling the VTX support and tried changing the acceleration.

The applications that are open are Outlook 2003 and QuickBooks 2005 Prf Services Edition.

Obviously I'd like to know why it keeps bailing and a way to stop it. Additionally, is there a way I can submit debug information? Since Parallels is not locking up, I'm not sure how to do this.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. jsolderitsch

jsolderitsch Member

Sound might be the culprit!

Suggest either NOT suspending and resuming (use shut down and re-boot instead) or disable the Sound card in the VM settings.

If I do either of these, I do not have seemingly random lock-ups. If I have sound enabled and I suspend and resume a VM I get a lock-up shortly after the first resume.

I never tried to recover from a locked VM by suspending and resuming again but I am not surprised that the VM is still locked.

Some Parallels staffers have said that this sound miss-feature will be fixed in the next public release.

Jim

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  3. johnnykrisma

johnnykrisma Junior Member

Just wanted to add my name to this list. I cannot suspend anymore on Beta6. I'm running windows 2000 in Vm and typicaly I'll only be running IE6 when I suspend. When I try to resume, it locks up.

J

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

I've suspended Win2k Pro a few times and it's always come back up. I'm careful to resume it with exactly the same hardware configuration that was there when it was suspended, and while several applicatins were loaded, nothing was actively doing anything -- no network, screen, or disk activity.

Procedure: Suspend the VM
    Quit Parallels
    Unplug external mouse
    Put machine to sleep
    Wake machine
    Plug in mouse
    Start Parallels
    Resume VM
    Begin network activity

Just FWIW.

5. CWasko

CWasko Bit poster

Just to provide a follow up, I have not had a single crash since I disabled the sound.