Windows 10 Build 1511 Surfaces Numerous Issues with Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JonathanP2, Feb 19, 2016.

1. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

I have parallels 11. When windows 10 1511 update was released, I upgraded and Parallels 11 could not successfully launch the new build. Parallels support spent considerable time with me - and eventually received a number of logs and punted. I than performed a fresh reset of my windows 10 build 1511 (no applications just the os). This time the parallels could run the virtual fine. I added some of my software - quicken, foxit pro and some vpn software. everything was fine for several weeks. However, I soon found that my windows 10 virtual start menu would not launch. Luckly I had backups. However, over time even my backups experieced this issue. I tried all sorts of things - following windows 10 fixes and even re-installed parallels tools. Out of desperation I tried vmware fusion. I converted one of my working backups - and did all of the windows 10 updates. So far I have had no problems and my virtual machine size was cut in half. I beleive there are some serious issues with parallels. I will continue to try vmware to see if the same issues surface, but so far they have not (its only been a week).

2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released and the issue has been addressed. You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works.

3. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

Ok decided to try to perform an upgrade to 1511 that failed under the previous version of parallels 11. I have a virtual machine window 10 - that worked fine under parallels 11. However, this machine was not upgraded t 1511. I upgraded parallels 11 to the latest build and started the windows 10 virtual no problem. Parallels installed the latest tools and asked to restart - which I did. Now my virtual starts up into a black screen - nothing. Wow... pretty bad....

4. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey Jonathan,
    Please Click on Actions > Stop and then restart your virtual machine - It should work!

5. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

I tried that... the cpu was going off the charts. I deleted the virtual and will try again with another version. I found with parallels I better have lots of backups.

6. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

Ok - I tried another virtual machine (again not a 1511 build) - which started up just fine.. before the installation of parallels tools. After the installation - it booted up ok. I will now try to upgrade this machine to 1511 (latest build). The pervious version of parallels was encountering a fatal error after the upgrade.

7. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

Went through the entire process with my original virtual machine. This is the virtual that had all of my original apps running fine in parallels 11 before the upgrade to build 1511. Back in november I upgrade to 1511 and parallels was not able to run the virtual - even though the virtual would boot up fine to the login. Today i tried again - taking the machine performing a fresh install (but keeping my apps). The fresh install using the latest windows 10 boot media downloaded from microsoft. After the install (however, keeping all of the apps) - parallels exhibited the same failure on the virtual - an inability to login to the virtual. I will try using one of the 1511 builds that had no apps - but was failing with the start menu before - to see how parallels goes.

8. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

Ok I found the problem with the inability of parallels to login into my computer. When I tried to install webroot for windows parallels instantly shutdown my computer. This version is webroot secure anywhere. its a virus protection software which I use on my mac and before build 1511 on my pc.

9. JasonM6

JasonM6 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. I have to revert to older snapshots about once a month. I have not yet gotten Windows 10 or Chrome OS to ever work and work stable - for probably more than a month ( in the case of Windows 10), and never, (in the case of Chrome OS).

I am and have always run the latest version of Parallels. I've even done a complete reinstall of Windows and Chrome OS from scratch. Still keep getting issues with the Start Menu failing to work in Windows 10, and Chrome OS has never worked correctly. The Windows 10 Start Menu issue is a complete show stopper. Nothing at all can be done to fix it, all I've been able to do is revert back to a snapshot. This literally happens roughly once a month.

Parallels says it's a known Windows bug, and it is, but I have never experienced the issue on my Windows PC at work, and if every Windows user was having this severe of problems, there would be riots in the streets.

I wish that were the only issue. I no longer trust their support either. Last year I had an issue with Parallels 10 spiking my CPU, and I arranged for a guy on their support team to connect my machine remotely. As a fix, he downloaded this obscure 3rd party CPU limiting utility called cputhrottle. So where does he try to download it to? He starts browsing through my Documents folder, and finds my folder labeled "Financial" and starts to try to put it in there, before I moved the mouse cursor away, and promptly disconnected him. Half the time when he was connected to my machine the mouse cursor disappeared and I had no idea what he was doing or where.

Every time I report an issue now, their only remedy is to offer to connect remotely to my machine to troubleshoot. Never again.

I'm done w/ Parallels. I will be transitioning to Vmware as fast as I can arrange it.

10. JonathanP2

JonathanP2 Bit poster

My parallels is finally stable (fingers crossed). After the latest update from Parallels, I took a pre-1511 vm and upgraded it without any existing software (clean build) and installed only the newest versions of software. I did find an issue with one version of virus protection software I was using (which immediately crashes parallels on logging into windows 10), which is webroot (but that was not the cause of the windows 10 start menu corruption). I also have a version of vmware - which I did try as a backup to parallels. I like vmware - although parallels has better integration with mac finder/ directory support.