Parallels 11 sleeping Windows 10

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Ronald Bokleman, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

On OS X 10.11.3 quite often when I step away the VM goes into some kind of sleep mode where the clock gets stopped on Windows 10. When I come back the clock is off by an amount of time analogous to the time I was away and often the network has been shutdown as well, Skype gets signed out, etc.

This behavior is new with Parallels 11 and/or El Capitan. Never had this issue with Parallels 7-10. Any idea what might be causing this issue?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Ronald,
    To sync your virtual machine's time zone with your Mac, do the following:
    Shut Down your virtual machine. Open the virtual machine Configuration menu.
    Go to Options > More Options (in version 11)/Advanced (in previous versions).
    In Time option open the drop-down menu and select Sync from Mac.
    Start the virtual machine.
    If the issue persists please reinstall Parallels Tools and let us know how it works. Thanks!

3. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

This issue continues to persist. The option for synchronizing Time with OS X was already my default.
    Please read this carefully:
    1. Start a Windows 10 VM under Parallels Desktop for Mac 11.
    2. Lock my OS X keyboard or let a screen saver kick in, blank the screen or whatever that would require my OS X password to unlock the system again.
    3. Leave the system for an hour.
    4. When I return to the OS X keyboard, enter my password to unlock the machine, the Windows 10 VMs clock is one hour behind! After a 3-5 minutes, Windows realizes this and synchronizes the clock again with OS X. The issue is that often it's more than the clock being behind, it's also killed my network connection and whatever tasks I left running on Windows 10 failed due to the lack of network connectivity.
    Incredibly annoying behavior!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  4. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey Ronald,
    Looks like this issue needs a deeper investigation, Please email us the Problem Report ID as per kb.parallels.com/9058 with the issue description to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can assist you accordingly.

5. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

6. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Ronald,
    One of our engineers has sent you an email, please check and respond. So that we can assist you to fix this issue.

7. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

I have been testing a theory and believe there is an issue with W10 on Parallels 11 when a MacBook Pro Retina does NOT have "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" checked under System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Power Adapter.

The W8.1 VM I have doesn't seem sensitive to this, so more than likely this is a W10/Parallels 11 only thing. I'm running the very latest version of Parallels.

After I changed this setting by checking the box, my Windows 10 VM no longer has an issue with the clock being stopped.

8. ScottL2

ScottL2 Bit poster

I am having the same issue as described by Ronald above with Windows 10 but on Parallels 12. I can confirm that checking the Mac system setting for "Prevent computer from sleeping..." does not fix the problem, nor does setting "Sync from Mac OSX" nor reinstalling parallel tools. Was there another fix identified here? I can't seem to find the Problem ID mentioned above to see for myself.