Windows 10 will not launch after latest update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnP8, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Does not solve the problem unfortunately

2. DanM5

DanM5 Bit poster

Any word on a fix for this issue? Are there any logs or anything I can send to help yall solve it?

3. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

@DanM5 The PD dev team is looking at the problem and i'm afraid they have no real plans to come up with a solution soon.
    Of course you are free and welcome to send your solution to this topic :)
    In my own opinion it's strange as an older user you buy a product, and you expect it works (Run Windows on a Mac! That's what they shout!)
    But after all you need to be a half wiz kid and you have to mess around with pc/software settings :p and tell THEM if it works LOL! :D

4. PaulS7

PaulS7 Bit poster

Still a little early to say for sure, but like may other posters that lost a day or more of productivity, downgrading to the following version appears to allow me to enable nested virtualization without the recurring BSOD and associated errors previously reported. Reposting the previous link for anyone that doesn't want to have to dig through every post:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v11/11.1.1-32312/ParallelsDesktop-11.1.1-32312.dmg

It doesn't get any more vanilla than my situation: MacBook Pro is brand new, Parallels Pro was the first thing installed, followed by Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Update 1, and a slew of windows and VS patches. Also, for good measure, I rebooted between many installs just out of historical habit.

5. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Downgrading wasn't a solution for me either, making an extra fake users account (none admin) and signing in with that did the tric for me.

6. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

This does sound like a corrupted user profile. Kindly let us know if you can reproduce the issue on a test virtual machine which can be created as per this article.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released and the issue has been addressed. You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks! PC

8. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Does not solve the problem here.

9. ManojK@Parallels

Please explain us exactly what is happening when you are trying to start the virtual machine along with a screenshot.

10. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Start menu does not appear after clicking on it, making a fake users account did the tric for me.

11. ManojK@Parallels

As we have mentioned in our documentation, this is an issue due to Microsoft profile corruption. You can follow these steps to fix it temporarily.

12. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

As i've mentioned my tric works as well and easy to do in a few seconds. :)
    Make an extra users account and sign in with that.

13. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

I had previously narrowed down the Start Menu issue to the tile layer data corruption (not the WHOLE user profile). I fought with this for 3 hours this morning!! I'm grateful for snapshots!

I have been running 11.1.3 pretty much all day with Emulator VM's and everything (aside from the Start Menu issue) all day w/o any issues so thanks guys!

To get the start menu working again I reverted to a pre-upgrade snapshot I created and cancelled the Tools installer as quick as I could after signing in. Then, I enabled the local Administrator account & gave it a password. I signed out of my current user, signed into the Administrator account and let the Parallels Tools update install. I postponed the restart and made a copy of my user's TileDataLayer Database, located at: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\appdata\local\TileDataLayer\Database\ to back it up to Database-WORKING.

I then rebooted, logged in as Administrator, tested the start menu (worked fine), then signed out and in as my user. No start-menu....

I signed out and back into the Administrator account, renamed the TileDataLayer\Database folder to TileDataLayer\Database-NO-WORKIE. I then copied the Database-Working folder and renamed it to just Database.

After I signed out of the Administrator user, and back in as myself, it worked fine. I rebooted to verify that the start menu would still work correctly and it's been all day today.

@parallels if you could look into the start menu, specifically the TileDataLayer folder, there is something definitely going on there as it was corrupted after the first login after rebooting from the tools update install. I have customized my tiles on my start menu/task bar and this folder contains the data used for the start menu.

14. BenoitR

BenoitR Bit poster

Everything seems to be running smoothly with the latest update. Thank you!

15. Andrey1

Andrey1 Bit poster

Hi Parallels support team or anybody who knows workaround.
    I have the same problem (critical_process_died vs windows 10) when Parallels updated up to 11.2.0 (32581) today.
    Also I can't find "nested visualization" in the configuration to try enable/disable, so I need some other solutions.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  16. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

@Andrey1 In certain versions I believe the option is available only for Pro & Business editions of Parallels Desktop 11. You may be able to adjust it in the vm config file. To get to it right-click on the VM in Parallels Desktop and select "Show in FInder", then right-click on the VM file and select "Show Package Contents". In that package there should be a file name config.pvs. Open that file with a text/code editor of your choice. Do you have an XML tag called VirtualizedHV in that file with a value set to 1 (It should be under Hardware/Cpu)? If you do, I would first make a backup of the config.pvs file, then change it to 0 (zero) and save the file. Then try loading up your VM again.

17. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

18. Andrey1

Andrey1 Bit poster

Hi TS-Micah!
    Thank you for quick response and for the hints!
    I'm trying to do as you suggest and made double click on config.pvs by mistake, so it opened in parallels and win10 started - surprize!
    After few seconds started setup of Parallels Tools which ended with same error as it seems was at first time.
    Finally setup asked to reboot windows and win10 won't start again as I expected. :(
    And unfortunately the tag VirtualizedHV was zero initially: <VirtualizedHV>0</VirtualizedHV>
    Do you have some other ideas I could try?

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  19. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Not off the top of my head. What is the error you are seeing, can you take a screenshot of it? If you haven't you may want to check out: http://kb.parallels.com/en/113964

20. Andrey1

Andrey1 Bit poster

Hi support.
    Are you going to solve my issues or reply me something at least?
    I tried to restore program and PVM file from time machine.
    Win 10 was successfully launched one time after that, but Parallels Tools automaticaly started installation. Installation process was finished with error and asked to reboot. After that Win 10 can't be launched anymore due CRITICAL PROCESS DIED.
    I tryed to setup an older version 11.1.1 (32312) and run with restored PVM, but it doesn't work anymore.
    Please let me know if you have an idea what could be the reason of such behavior after update to latest version 11.2.0 (32581) ?