getting ubuntu feisty to connect to internet

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by nick-07, Jun 30, 2007.

1. nick-07

nick-07 Bit poster

after much trial and effort, i made one more attempt and this time ubuntu feisty installed completley t my great astotishment.
    for want of any other ideas, I muss put ths down to having installing paralleles tools, any ideas welcome.'
    mandrake spring 07 is wonderful, running to pefection a lovley distribution now, free from bugs it seems, but ubuntu is aesthetically pleasing all the same. I tried to get solaris likewise to connect and have failed so far, and made some alterations to the osx settings vis a vis network sharing but they had no effect. solaris still wont connect, nor will ubuntu. I may try ubuntu 6.06, but any ideas will be looked at with much interest.
    I am still over the moon whit his software, I use mandrake or anything else as a running process on my imac, with my 24" screeen, it is often a permanent window, waiting to be activated. it really embelleshes an already wonderful operating system.

2. mgolczewski

mgolczewski Bit poster

nick-07, I seem to be OK with running Umbuntu 7.04 on a Parallels VM though I can't say how I got it to work. I did do an upgrade from 6.x to 7.04 and the 6.x version was connecting to the internet just fine. You might try that route if you can get an earlier version of Umbuntu. I'm using the "Bridged Ethernet" with the Default Adapter and I'm running build 3188 right now. Haven't had the guts to try out the latest 2.5 release of Parallels.

Also, there seems to be some issues with Umbuntu and having more than 512mb of memory. I think that's the max I've been able to use successfully.

Good luck and let us know what you've found if you get it working.

3. mgolczewski

mgolczewski Bit poster

OK, so I stand corrected. I just tried browse and for some reason it's not working. I did have it working a few weeks ago and for some reason I'm not connecting. Tried most, if not all of the combos of adapters and host or shared networking and nothing seems to work. A netstat -l shows that I have a network adapter but it's not receiving anything.

Let me know if you get this working.

4. nick-07

nick-07 Bit poster

sorry to take so long replying, hope you are reading this. I find ubuntu feisty instals perfeclty, but ubunto 6.06 will not intsall. yet ubuntu 6.06, dapper, connects to the internet!!! waht i will try at some point, is to install dapper into ram, then when it comes to finall install, use the feisty disk, hoping the internet setings are preserved. let me know what you think. aslos finding out why one thing works in one and nt the other. maybe some files can be copied and pasted.

5. johnnydingo

johnnydingo Bit poster

I use ubuntu feisty, and it does not connect to the network automatically when I boot up. However, I use 'sudo ifdown eth0', followed by 'sudo ifup eth0' and it will connect fine.

6. kmunoz

kmunoz Junior Member

I can confirm the success of

sudo ifdown eth0
    sudo ifup eth0

to get networking to work in 7.0.4.

7. david.rowe

david.rowe Bit poster

I have the same problem of LAN not connecting with some - but not all - Linux distributions.
    Typing;
    sudo ifdown eth0
    sudo ifup eth0
    also works for me - but it is a pain to have to do it manually.

Does anyone know the simplest way of putting these commands in a startup script so it is done automatically during boot?

Alternatively - does anyone know why the LAN fails to connect? My installations of Ubuntu Desktop, and Fedora 7 connect OK, but my installations of Ubuntu server, and Debian do not. Strange!

8. hotblack

hotblack Member

I also have problmes with auto-connection of a configured network device. When manually bringing up, say, eth0, things work fine.

The only solution I've found so far is to use VMWare, which is not ideal.