VM locks up part way through tools update

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by john417, Feb 21, 2016.

1. john417

john417 Junior Member

People,
    I have an 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.3. I upgraded Parallels to version 11.1.2 (32408) a couple of months ago. I have 5 virtual machines running either Windows XP or Windows 7 and various versions of Microsoft Office.

Parallels Tools updated successfully on two of the virtual machines I use most, one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 7. A couple of days ago I opened one of the virtual machines I seldom use (Windows XP, Office 2003). As expected, after Windows opened, I received a message saying Parallel Tools needed to be updated. The update started and proceeded normally until it reached 62%, then a message appeared saying there was a problem with the installation. At that point, everything in the virtual machine locked up. The only way I could exit was to shut down the virtual machine from the Parallels menu.

Suggestions?
    John

2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Parallels Tools needs two things. One is Windows updates (in this case -> XP so not applicable). Secondly, Disabling/uninstalling Antivirus and other driver software. Kindly make sure that there are no Antivirus or any other driver software for network, devices or display and try again. Let us know how it goes.

3. john417

john417 Junior Member

Manoj,
    I do not have any anti-virus software installed nor do I have any drivers installed, other than those included in the basic Windows XP OS. An interesting thing though, right after Windows loads, I get a message saying it has detected new hardware. I'm not sure what that is because I haven't added any new hardware unless it's the new iMac and external Super Drive I got in January of 2015. At that time I moved all of my virtual machines from my old iMac to the new one and I don't recall receiving the new hardware message when I updated Parallel Tools for my other virtual machines. But for reference, the wizard wants to install the Video Controller (VGA compatible), which I have no idea what that is and I certainly don't have any software for it. So I cancel out of the first wizard and then it pops up again asking for software for a PCI device. Again, I have no idea what that is and do not have any software for it.

So, that's how it goes.
    John

4. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

As we need to investigate this deeper, please email us the issue description along with the technical data as per this article to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.

5. john417

john417 Junior Member

Manoj,
    Okay, I reproduced the issue and submitted a report. The report ID is 90952270. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
    John

6. JohnP9

JohnP9 Bit poster

Hii
    Sympathetic ensure that there are no Antivirus or whatever other driver programming for system, gadgets or show and attempt once more.

7. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

We find that you are using an older build of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.
    Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here:
    http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/
    Also note that Parallels Tools needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!