Windows Notification Centre opens randomly - very annoying

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GregWaterloo, Feb 17, 2016.

1. GregWaterloo

GregWaterloo Junior Member

Hi

I haven't seen anybody else mention this but ...

I have a mac book pro where I am running Parallels v11 and inside I am running a windows 10 guest. What I am finding is that the windows notification centre window will open at seemingly random times without any notifications or new notifications. There seems to be absolutely no reason for it to open. I am usually running windows 10 in full screen mode and the cursor is no where near the right edge of the screen.

Is anybody else seeing this? Is there a way to turn this off? It is quite disruptive because it takes focus and even when I can dismiss it with ESC, the app that had focus doesn't get it back.

Thanks
    Greg

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey Greg,
    Please follow the below steps.
    1. Right-click on the date/time shown on the far right end of Taskbar and select "Customize notification icons" option.
    2. Now click on "Turn system icons on or off" link.
    3. Then just set the "Action Center" item slider to Off.

pwalpwal likes this.
  3. GregWaterloo

GregWaterloo Junior Member

Thank you. I found this information last week when I realized what I was doing to cause this.
    It turns out that the way I was resting my palms on the laptop keyboard while I was typing caused MS to think I was sliding a finger on the screen from the right. This would then cause the action centre to slide in. Wow was this annoying because I would do this action every couple of minutes some times. Following your steps turned off the action centre slide out, which was perfect!

another good thing to customize so that working with windows is better on a mac, is to go into System Preferences on the mac and remove the keyboard shortcut for CTRL-Left Arrow and CTRL-Right arrow. Those key strokes are too valuable to give up on windows but on the mac they are used to switch desktops - something that can be more easily handled by a three finger left-right swipe.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @GregWaterloo, glad that the issue is resolved. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.