Blackberry Unable to Snyc

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by whuff, Aug 20, 2007.

1. whuff

whuff Member

There are many posts in this forum about users unable to sync their blackberry using the USB cable. I am another. I have not seen any response from a Parallels support person on this topic. Would someone from Parallels please respond. I am considering trying out the fusion VM because users on that forum seem to have no problem with syncing blackberry to the windows VM.Thank you

2. Intersecting

Intersecting Parallels Team

Please give us a link to your Blackberry device. Write if the device worked with older builds.
    Now we collect information about the devices and will try to fix the problem in the future.

3. rossf

rossf Junior Member

As a long time Parallels & Blackberry user, I've had to find ways to "make it work". Currently with a Pearl & a Curve, I have syncing working. It's a long process and contains a bit of luck. First, make sure you have PocketMac installed on the OSX side. Make sure you have the latest BDM installed. Then its a matter of running the sync process a number of times - each time you get a little further. Final results come with "sync automatically" checked on BDM. The tricky part is confuguring the sync - connecting & disconnecting USB seems to help it learn the process - trial & error is the only law here. I even manage to get the Java loader working from time to time, although that really feels like black magic - eg: click on app loader then pull the USB before the splash screen, plug it in again instantly, quit BDM and restrat straight away, etc etc...no guarantees.

The pity is a few builds ago, Parallells wourks great with BB. might have been around build 3188.

Good luck...

4. billdog

billdog Bit poster

5. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

PocketMac

Do you HAVE to use Windows for Syncing? I use Entourage with my Blackberry using PocketMac (free to Blackberry Users), and it works very well. I also know that you can use Mark/Space Missing Sync ($) which only syncs directly to Apple Mail/Address Book.

I know that you can use BDM easily with Bootcamp if this helps.

I don't know if this is even an option (not to use Windows), but if you can use PocketMac, it works pretty well. One recommendation, however, don't put your contacts in more than one category in Entourage or you will have syncing duplicates. However single category syncs work great - and quickly.

6. billdog

billdog Bit poster

I have used PocketMac in the past (with mixed results) but the reason I am using Parallels in the first place is to allow me to work with Windows applications. Since Rim has decided to remain a group of unenlightened trolls on the client side this applies to BDM as well. If I go out and buy PocketMac I have effectively taken the purchase price on that away from running Parallels.

I understood why Parallels had issues in pre USB 2 versions of the drivers but it seems very odd that this issue still exists today. Can it be that the Rimkins are trying to write directly the to hardware? :-O

It sure seems weird that something as straightforward as serial communication (passthru) has been an issue for both Parallels and VMware for so long (I suffered through this same issue running VMware on Linux years ago).

7. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

Worked for a few of us

Wish I had the golden answer but really there isn't one. see thread below. a few of us were able to get fairly consistent sync's going.

http://forum.parallels.com/thread13380-2.html

I still have problems though. The most common is once desktop manager connects and I press sync the BDM freezes. I should note that I am using companion link to sync with and ACT database. Don't know if that plays into the problem.