Windows won't install.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by octavedoctor, Aug 22, 2007.

1. octavedoctor

octavedoctor Bit poster

Pretty fundamental problem here.

I wanted to try to install Ghost Recon - Advanced Warfighter, but each time I try to install in my existing windows XP installation, which is installed in a dynamically expanding image, the installer tells me that there is insufficient space. Increasing the size of the disk image makes no difference.

So i decided to try creating a new Windoze installation using a fixed size disc image which I set at 20Gb. Set up gets to at most half way through and then stalls permanently. This is not a complete crash; Parallels still runs and the VM can be turned off but set up make sno progress; I've left it running for 9 hours without progress being resumed. There are no error messages to indicate what is wrong (although sometimes set up quits and restarts, usually stalling at an earlier point in the cycle the second time round.

My first installation was done in Parallels 2 and this went smoothly, as did an installation of SuSE Linux. I'd be pretty pissed off I'd just bought into 3 and I found I couldn't install Windows.

I've tried using a disc and an ISO image. Neither works. And yes, it is a legit copy of Windows.

Any ideas?

2. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello!
    In case you own a Windows XP SP0 (without any service packs that is), you can try to decrease the Acceleration Level of your virtual machine. This setting should be located in Configuration Editor under Options section in the Advanced tab.
    Play around with this setting even if your WinXP is any later version (SP1 or SP2).
    See if this helps you to install the software.
    Thanks!

3. octavedoctor

octavedoctor Bit poster

Thanks.

It is, indeed, a pre-SP2 disc.

I've had no difficulty installing it on "real" PCs and had no difficulty installing it on the earlier build of Parallels. This only affects Parallels 3.

Is there a workaround for installing GR-AW into the virtual drive? At the moment it seems to need to detect the additional space before installing and it doesn't see this with an expanding v-drive.

4. octavedoctor

octavedoctor Bit poster

Another problem I'm having directly impacts on my ability to edit a VM.

Every time i shut down a VM Parallels quits; it does this even though I have the "exit application at VM shutdown" box unchecked. This means that in order to edit the VM config I have to catch it at the split second between vm shutdown and application quit. I catch it about one in five times...

5. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

While pressing the Command key, please double-click the virtual machine's alias to access the VM property page. See http://kb.parallels.com/entry/28/470/ for details,

Best regards,
    John