Which release of Windows Vista...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Aiolos, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Aiolos

Aiolos Bit poster

Hi,

I'm a Mac User. I have a Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 Go DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS 10.4.10 and Parallels Desktop 3.0 (Build 4560).

I set up a Virtual Machine with Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu. Work great.

For my activity, i need to have Windows Vista.

Tell me if i understood well. For Windows Vista with my hardware, my system, and my release of parallels i need to buy Windows Vista Professionnel or Ultimate ?

By example :
    Windows Vista Professionnel, version 32 bits, Microsoft
    or
    Windows Vista Edition Intégrale, version 32 bits, Microsoft

Please tell me what do you suggest for my situation, if you have tested yourself.

Thanks by advance.

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

I do not work with Vista.

But one question what can you do on Vista that won't work on Xp?

Greetings

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Aiolos,

Yes the Microsoft License means you have to use Ultimate or Business for virtual machines.

Jackybe67,

I haven't found anything that Vista can do that XP can't but I need to to be able to test stuff I deliver to clients and see what they see when using Vista. I asume Aiolos is in similar postion. I would add that apart from the odd frustration and slowness, I generally find it a nicer experience.

Mike

4. Aiolos

Aiolos Bit poster

Thanks.
    And for my hardware can i take 32 bits version ?

Exactly !

5. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

better to put vista on boot camp.. it is a dog compared to xp under parallels and not much better on any pc native anyway. I had ultimate and dumped it and went back to XP cause it adds nothing but slowness . If you want to run Vista under Parallels then MS did the dirty on us and insisted on ulimate or the other top one but i have had even the lowest version of Vista installed on parallels and it worked no problems so it is only a technical LEGAL issue that means you arnt allowed to install but doesnt physically stopping any full version of Vista being installed

6. Aiolos

Aiolos Bit poster

OK. Thanks for you help and your advises. 32 bits release is OK on Intel Core Duo 2 ?

7. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

32bit is fine.. If you install to bootcamp you get to access th windows drive from osx anyway except that vista only allows a drive to be ntfs so osx can read but not write to a file as far as i can tll.. if u use bootcamp parallels will also use that partition as a VM so u get the best of both bad worlds
    PS I was extremly disapointed in Ulimate it has to be the biggest rip off price wise as what the extra Ultimate addons where where basically useless unless u want things like videos for a desKtop backgraound and these take 20% of your cpu anyway
    OSX can also do this , running vidoes as your wallpaper.. looks nice but for what purpose.. about 20% of CPU used on OSX as well..