Stuck After Install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ryboflavo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ryboflavo

ryboflavo Guest

After installing Parallels and selecting "My Boot Camp," I cannot use my mouse or keyboard inside the Guest OS's window. I am required to log into Windows, as originally setup in Boot Camp. Since I cannot use my mouse or keyboard, I am stuck at the login screen. Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Thank you!

2. demanl

demanl Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same problem.....:(

3. Copilot

Copilot Member

Me too. Once VM starts and I am in Windows, it get stuck. My whole computer freezes, I have to do force restart. Never had this problem before.

4. Jimtaylor61

Jimtaylor61 Bit poster

I installed Build 5120 and upon trying to Shutdown, my Windows XP Pro/screen is hung up at 'Closing network connections'. Any guidance on how to restore functionality? I reinstalled 5120, but that did not make any difference in the 'hung up' status.

5. jep

jep Bit poster

I think I'm having the exact same problem.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a MacBook Pro. All is well running Boot Camp. I downloaded Parallels, received a trial activation code, and began setting up Parallels. I also selected "My Boot Camp". The Windows log-in screen appears, containing the list of users. A white cursor is frozen in the center of the screen, but I have control of the black cursor ... until I click in the Windows screen. The formerly active black cursor vanishes. Fortunately, control-alt does restore the active black cursor, but the Windows screen remains frozen.
    Can somebody help? I'd purchase the software if I could get it to work. What a revolutionary thought ...

thanks,

jep

6. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

1. If "Ctrl+Alt+Del" is required to log in please go to the "Actions" menu, choose the "Send Keys" option and choose "CTRL+ALT+DEL" .
    2. Please choose your mouse via Parallels USB drop-down list or via Devices-USB menu.
    3. Have you already installed any drivers for mouse and keyboard? Perhaps boot camp drivers and/or mouse manufacturer drivers? Please uninstall these drivers.
    4. You should install Parallels Tools package via the "Actions" menu. The toolkit includes all drivers required for the virtual environment.

Best regards,
    John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  7. jep

jep Bit poster

just a follow-up, and a little praise where praise is due ...
    I shutdown my MacBookPro the only way possible at the time [by holding the power button down]. I restarted my machine and launched parallels from the boot camp partition. This time, the initialization occurred relatively quickly [within 30 seconds]. At that point, I had control of the guest OS cursor, and was off and running.

Part of my iniial confusion was caused by what I feel are 2 conflicting messages during the initial launch. Within the guest OS window is a message which states [something to the effect of] 'do not perform any system operations during initialization'. Simultaneously, there was a message [located at the bottom left of the guest OS window] which tells the user to click within the guest OS window. On my first attempt, I did wait a bit [I don't know how long] before clicking in the window, but then succumbed to the conflicting message at the bottom. Perhaps the guest hadn't initialized, and I interfered with the process ... I don't know ... but I found the 2 messages contradictory and confusing.

On another note, today, I received a call from Dan, a Parallels Solutions Manager, who was checking in to see what was happening. I've seen many a disparaging word concerning Parallels support, and I want to give credit where warranted. Within 24 hours, I was contacted by a Parallels representative ... and I've yet to purchase the product ... still in my first day of my evaluation period. Thus far, my experience with Parallels support has been exemplary.

thanks!

8. bulletproof

bulletproof Member

After booting into Windows using Parallels for the first time, you have to wait a few minutes for Windows to install the drivers for they keyboard. After the drivers are installed you can log in. You will have to install Parallel Tools to get your mouse to respond however. Until you get the tools installed and reboot, you are stuck using Tab and Alt+Tab to navigate.

Hope this helps!

9. ericpena

ericpena Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem with latest Parallels (5160) using Boot Camp 1.4 and Vista Ultimate VM on my MBP Santa Rosa.

My mouse cannot take control of the Vista cursor and my keyboard doesn't respond so I cannot login to the Vista VM even when I waited for several minutes.

This is also the same problem I encountered with VMWare Fusion 1.0 that is why I tried Parallels. I hope somebody comes up with a solution to this problem.

Thanks.

10. ericpena

ericpena Bit poster

Finally trashed Boot Camp and PD 5160 worked fine with Vista VM.