Error: "There is nothing to install" when downgrading to 3188

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hazmat, Jul 20, 2007.

1. hazmat

hazmat Bit poster

I had Desktop for Mac 3 installed and want to downgrade to Build 3188. I ran the uninstaller included with Build 4560 and restarted.

I then started the installer for Build 3188 and was presented with the notice: "The chosen volume contains software which is newer then (sic) the software you are installing. Installing this software will replace the newer version with an older version. [cancel] [continue]"

I clicked "Continue" and was presented with this error: "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install. [OK]"

In addition to using the Parallels uninstaller, I've followed the suggestions for using a terminal script to remove Parallels, to no avail.

Anyone encountered these errors before and know what to do?

Attached Files:

2. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

I just uninstalled 4560 and installed 3214 and had no problems. However, the first run on 3214 *did not* ask for a key, even though I had uninstalled it prior to installing 4560. So clearly some stuff is left lying about in obscure places.

When you upgraded to 4560 did you uninstall 3188 first? Have you tried running the uninstall of 3188?

3. hazmat

hazmat Bit poster

I *think* I uninstalled Parallels 2.5 before I "upgraded" to Parallels 3, but it's been a while so I can't be sure. I've run both the 4560 and 3188 uninstalls (with a restart after each uninstall), and still no joy.

4. hazmat

hazmat Bit poster

Holy smokes! I can't believe I missed this, but the *only* Parallels file still on my computer was a .plist in Preferences. Deleted it, and all is well. Not sure how both I and the Parallels installer missed it, but that did the trick.

5. Resolver

Resolver Member

from IResolver

Hello Hazmatt !

I will appreciate to speak with you over email regarding this problem . Because my other customers have the same and your advise will be helpful!

My email is : ivanc@parallels.com

Best regards ,
    Resolver