Problems with AVG antivirus and Parallels tools

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MaheshN, Aug 24, 2007.

1. MaheshN

MaheshN Bit poster

HI all,

I'm using the latest aluminum iMac (Intel 2 GHz) and have Parallels Desktop 2.5 build 3188.0, I have succeeded in creating a new virtual machine using the Boot Camp partition (BC 1.4)
    However I have the following problems:

1) Every time the VM starts I get the following message:
    Warning: Parallels tools initializing is in progress. Please do not turn off or reset the VM,etc,etc..

Is this normal? Please note that I have already installed Parallels Tools.

2) I installed AVG antivirus (free version) in the Windows partition when I rebooted into Windows, however when I come back to MacOSX and try to start the VM, AVG gives this error:

AVG is not able to recognize your license number. Enter your valid license number using the Activate button. On entering the license number it accepts the same, however everytime I boot back into the Windows partition or start the VM again, the same error appears.

Would be extremely greatful if someone could help me on these issues.

Thanks and regards,
    Mahesh.

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello, Mahesh!

Please go to Parallels menu, choose Devices, select CD/DVD rom and
    click Disconnect the image, or click Default CD/DVD.

Parallels CD with Tools will be disconnected.

Best regards,
    John

3. MaheshN

MaheshN Bit poster

HI John,

Thanks for your reply.
    I did follow the steps you mentioned, however when I restart the VM or launch it afresh, the same message appears.
    Any way to avoid this?

Best regards,
    Mahesh.

4. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello, Mahesh!

Parallels Desktop 2.5 build 3188 is out of date. It is possible to upgrade Parallels to the latest 3214 build number (version 2.5) via the "Check for updates..." option under the "Help" menu,

Best regards,
    John

5. jruschme

jruschme Member

I've seen this on a real PC following a motherboard swap. The answer there was to uninstall and reinstall AVG. Because you're using the partition in BC and PD, though, it's not that simple.

It would appear that AVG is using some kind of anti-piracy scheme that is somehow based on the hardware (some kind of key encryption, perhaps?). I think it's a question better asked of AVG support.

6. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

I got avg free doing this to me alot so i uninstalled it (I had on numerous occasions reentered the key for avg)and dumped it and got avast from www.avast.com it is free and the antivirus is rated as being better than avg.. I have had no isues with avg since...
    You can copy the key for avg if you want.. you pretend to install it but it will after a few screens show you the name and key so copy and paste it somewhere and exit out of the install process.. when avg moans at you again you simply copy the key info into it and it should stop.. well for a while but mine kept coming back and haunting me al the time and reasking for the key.