Wireless Networking via MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by qednick, Apr 30, 2006.

1. qednick

qednick Bit poster

The only way I can get networking to work in WinXP is to manually assign IP address, subnet and gateway. Is there any way I can get it to obtain IP automatically?

I'm using MacBook Pro with built in Airport. My DSL modem is the gateway/DHCP server.

Thanks

2. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Download the hotfixed beta 6 which resolves the wireless networking issue.

3. qednick

qednick Bit poster

I am using hotfixed beta 6 - I still have to manually enter IP and DNS addresses for it to work. :-(

4. ppcguy

ppcguy Bit poster

Won't work for me either

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed the Beta 6 today. Everything works great, except my wireless networking isn't working. I have an Airport Express in my home, hooked up to DSL. I'm just using basic DHCP on my network, but can't get any network connection in Parallels. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark Allison

5. RussGJohnson

RussGJohnson Junior Member

I have a Macbook Pro running PW and XP, connected to an airport basestation. After installing the beta 6 hotfix last weekend I have been connecting and obtaining an ip via dhcp without a hitch. hve you tried to reinstall the parallel tools in XP? You might also want to try repairing the network connection in XP as well.

6. ppayne

ppayne Member

Thanks for the tip

I read this and saw the "set IP address" advice, and lo, it made my iMac Win2000 VM see its network. Not sure why it stopped working with automatically generated IP address for the VM, but setting the IP and DNS addresses in Windows made it work.

7. Ollie

Ollie Junior Member

I also still have problems with DHCP over airport on my MacBook Pro. Setting a static IP address works fine, but it's a pain in the ass. Especially because I have to adjust the IP address of the guest OS whenever I connect to another network.

8. qednick

qednick Bit poster

Well the main reason I need it to obtain IP address and DNS automatically is if I travel with the macbook pro - for example, a trip to Starbucks using the T-mobile hotspot.

9. mbeyer

mbeyer Bit poster

I installed the hotfixed beta and tried all of the above suggestions and wireless still doesn't work on my macbook pro. sometimes it can get a DHCP lease, sometimes it cant. But even when ipconfig/all shows that it has a lease, XP still cannot connect.

10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Bit poster

I can't figure out how to get on the internet either. I have an iMac with Airport internet. I'm running Windows 98 SE (i think it's se)

If I could get on the internet, I think I'd buy Parallels. :)

Thanks

11. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

As an additional data point:

I'm running PW 2.1b6hf on my MacBook Pro using Windows 2000 SP4. I have no problem with networking. Here's a typical run for me:

At home I connect to my LAN via the wireless network. The Mac and Windows both get an IP via DHCP and I can do everything you'd expect (Internet, local LAN access, Windows can see shares on the host Mac, etc.).

Now I put Windows to sleep, then suspend the Mac and go to work. At work I use a wired ethernet connection. I wakeup the Mac then I resume Windows.

Since I am now on a whole different network I pull up a command shell and run:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

I'm now setup via DHCP at work and all is well (mostly). IE hangs after this but that's a known issue with PW.

Rick

12. mmak

mmak Member

maybe you could provide more info:
    What does your airport connect to?
    What configuration are you using in PW?

13. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Bit poster

I got it to work. Here is what I did.

1) Restart the machine. Not sure if it's needed but I did it. I also got the latest firmware update today too.

2) Hook up your computer to the internet via an Ethernet cable. Start Parallels with the internet/network set to default and start your Windows. See if you can get on line. If so continue, if not, sorry.

3) Quit Windows and Parallels

4) Unplug the Ethernet

5) Start Parallels and windows. See if you can get on line.

Worked for me. No it uses my wireless connection and works good. :)

Now if I could get get sound.

14. joshv

joshv Member

I have posted issues with wireless and DHCP before. I have a similar problem where I can get DHCP at home but not work. Only thing I can figure is that Parallels is not quite compatible with our Windows 2003 DHCP server.

I use the "alternate address" feature of the IP stack so that, when it can, Parallels can use DHCP and when it can't it uses a static.

15. joshv

joshv Member

RC2 is still unable to obtain a DHCP address via AirPort in RC2 for me.

Works fine at home via D-Link AP's

Work uses the industry standrard Cisco models, which you think would be most compatible. The DHCP server here is Windows 2K3.

16. pfilias

pfilias Bit poster

I can't get an IP address using WiFi either. I tried both 1) Changing the network adapter to en-1 (wireless) and 2) Host only (hoping it'd snag the IP from my machine, when in WiFi, gets it via a bluesocket setup we have at the University I work at.

17. rng

rng Junior Member

Internet connection via host-only networking works

Internet connection via host-only networking works if Personal File Sharing and Personal Web Sharing are activated and Internet Sharing (Airport OR Ethernet whichever the host happens to use at the moment) is started with "Ethernet adaptor (en2)" selected. Took me a while to figure out... ;-) /Göran