Core Duo running very hot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, May 11, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

Even when Windows is basically idling, the processors are being pushed very hard on my iMac, and the temperatures, otherwise usually anwhere from 34 degrees to 42 degrees, seem to be hovering between 56 and 60 degrees when I have an XP Guest open, even when I am doing next to nothing in Windows.

Do you expect that the release version will be much easier on the computer?

2. Benja0901

Benja0901 Bit poster

The CoreDuo does indeed run hot - not just in WinXP, but even when the mac itself is pretty much idle (tho in UNIX there are always 'root' processes running)

on my MBP I've noticed temps of up to 95 C when running both cores hard - so I wouldn't worry about your temps of 60 C. The CoreDuo has a built in thermal management system that will shut down the unit at 125 C (before the dies 'melt')

With my CPU usage at 43% i'm at roughly 75 C...not ideal - but "within spec."

Also, keep in mind that for windows to be running, the chips must be working to virtualize the environment. Thus even tho Windows is not doing much, the hardware is probably cranking to provide the environment. If the processors suddenly stopped doing that Windows would crash. (more than it does already 0_o)

HTH
    -Benja

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  3. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

I see the issue on my MBP.
    While running Parallels Beta6 with WinXP Pro SP2 doing "nothing".
    My processor utilization is at close to 100% on both CPUs.
    Parallels and XP SP2 are sitting there and my machine starts running at 100% kicking the fans into high gear.

Some thread or background process is running away. As soon as I exit XP SP2 all is normal.
    There is definitely something going on.

tech

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

My solution to MBP heating is a little platform containing two small fans that I got at CompUSA for $25 a while back. It plugs into the USB port, and keeps the machine much cooler than it would be if it just sat on a table. It needs air circulation over the bottom surface to keep from overheating, IME. A small fan directed at the hot spot on an iMac might be helpful too.

And before any purists jump on me over the extra hardware or noise, my solution works for me, and is presented here for those who want to try it. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it.

5. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

You guys with high CPU while XP is "idle", it's not idle. If you open task manager and look at the performance tab, I'll bet you discover that there is some process under XP that is really using all of that CPU.

I can attest that when windows is idle, my core duo shows idle percentages under activity monitor. I've had winamp playing a network audio/video stream and watch the cpu sit in the low %12 to %18 range.

If windows is causing your CPU's to max out, something very cpu hungry is running in windows. You do have anti-viral and anti-spyware software running, yes? And that doesn't mean Norton! The symantec product will regularly slam the CPU on any windows box.

I recommend AVG anti-virus, free edition. www.grisoft.com
    And, for malware, both AdAware SE, (www.lavasoft.de), and Microsoft Windows Defender, (www.microsoft.com/downloads).

All free software, and quite effective.

Kevin L.

6. netdog

netdog Hunter

I use AVG and when I am running nothing else in the Windows XP guest other than whatever processes Windows runs to maintain itself (I did a very simple install), my processors run very hot. When I am not running anything little on the Mac and Parallels is closed my temperatures are down to the mid 30s and CP usage come down to 2-3% (a opposed to 25-50% or even more at times).

I had assumed that however Parallels maintains the guest put a fair demand on the cores. Perhaps my assumption if faulty, but it does look as if what I am describing is what is going on. I also remember that there was an early beta that pushed very big on the cores, so I am just asking if this is Parallels (as I suspect it is) and, if it is indeed Parallels/XP, will the somewhat constant demand it makes on the cores be significantly lessened in the final release?

Other than that, it is running quite nicely.

Cheers!

Thomas

PS: This was happening before I was using an AV program, and I just installed AVG yesterday.

7. In my system, there is almost no different between Parallels running idle with XP, Parallels suspended, or Parallels off. Just looking at my two CPU bars, they must be under 5%.

You definitely should check your Windows processes to make sure that something isn't getting started perhaps at boot up? Sounds like some task is running that is eating the resources.

8. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

20" iMac, CPUs are below 5% always with an idle XP. Nothing hot, nothing loud.

9. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I don't see this at all... it must be something in your XP that is running. In my very clean XP with only Delphi and Starteam, and Solidworks installed, no virus stuff. I see both cores at 5%. When the compiler kicks in I see 100% then 60 then 80 then 100 then back to 5 or so.

If I play a movie in XP then both shoot to 100% and come back down when the movie is done.

Question: How are you guys measuring the temps of the cores?

M

10. netdog

netdog Hunter

To measure system activity, I am using MenuMeters. It is a 3rd party Systems Preference. A very nice utilty. For core temperatures, i am using a little app called CoreDuoTemp.

11. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

I've done some investigation.
    My CPUs go to full tilt as soon as I launch XP.
    When looking at the task managet inside XP if 'm not running anything, I don't see any CPU usage. Also the CPU monitor for MacOS shows both CPUs at close to 100%. I thought Parallels doesn't use them both? If not they why are both CPUs pegged?

Something is strange and this only started happening after beta 6.
    I never had this problem with earlier beta releases.

What devices should I not run?

tech

12. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

For those of you with this issue are you running a serial port in client mode?
    I have traced my issue specifically to that. All I need to do is have a serial port in client mode at startup and my machine runs hot before XP even boots. If I don't have thew serial port in client mode enabled the cores run cool with almost no activity.

This is Beta 6 I am talking about. Can someone else try activating a serial port in client mode and see what happens?

tech

13. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

14. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

No need to run the utility.
    No software downloads; clean install.
    Cores rev up as soon as XP starts to boot, long before anything can be running.
    Did you read the post????
    All I need is the serial port in client mode enabled and everything goes south.
    This behavior is unique to having the serial port in clent mode enabled.
    That is the only time I get the heat issue.
    Also when the client serial port is enabled *BOTH* cores go to 100%.
    Inside windows the CPU is idle.

It's a Parallels issue, not XP.

tech

15. nimsoft

nimsoft Bit poster

Those temps are nothing to worry about really...

My MacBook Pro has started up in the bag a few times and was still running stable despite the extreme heat!

16. tech_head

tech_head Member

Hi,

It's an issue because battery life goes to pot and the machine isn't doing anything.
    I'm not worried about the heat.
    I don't like the fans blaring at me when they don't need to.
    I have stopped sing the seriual client since I can get by without it.

It is still a bug.

tech