1. demanl

demanl Bit poster

After being away from paralles for a while......right after I had a bad experience with it....
    I went and re-installed the desktop-mac-3188 version.....and tried to install winxp_home.....which appeared to work just fine....until the parallels tool install seemed to lock up......and die. Resulting in a winxp vm that had no mouse or keyboard support at all.

I then removed any and all references to my logitech mouse drivers that I could find.....:(

Then I upgraded to the 3.0.4560 version.......and upgraded my install....rebooted several times....resulting in still having the winxp_home vm run with NO mouse and NO keyboard support...:(

I then deleted the winxp_home vm.....and proceeded to create a winxp_pro vm......which worked like a charm.....beautifully.....:).......the whole product is working great.......pleasantly surprised and relieved....:)

The only problem I had was trying to figure out how to turn off the winxp_pro administrators account from logging in automatically upon starting of the winxp_pro vm..........turned out that I had to turn off the AutoAdminLogon switch in the registery of the winxp_pro vm....and voila.....I'm up and running great.

I then spent the next 3 hours applying all of the winxp updates (minus IE 7.0).....and then cloned/backed up the winxp_pro vm and called it my winxp_pro_base vm.......from which all other winxp_pro vm's will be based.....cool......now I have about 8-10 hours of work establishing a windows computer setup in one parallels vm....very cool.

Now....if my wife wants to run windows on her mac....all I have to do is install parallels and copy over the winxp_vm and off she goes........after I change her vm computer name....and create a user account for her....so she can personalize it...so on and so forth....but still better than having to get her a separate windows computer........:)

Now...maybe.....next month I'll get a copy of windows vista and play with that in a vm....but first I have to double my imac's ram to 2gb.......:)

After reading all of negative posts here...I just wanted to post a somewhat positive experience......:)

My only real glitch as I see it...was trying to install a copy of winxp_home........which I thought I could do.........but winxp_pro worked well.....

2. rdean

rdean Member

The 3.0 version is working great for me also.